Tuesday, September 10, 2019

Day 16: Burns and Molten Lead

I've always had a little bit of a fear of lead. I know what it can do to a person, even in small amounts, and I don't want that to happen to me. Imagine the icky feeling I get when I realize that the solder that I have been working with for the last couple of days contains a significant amount of lead.

I know it's mostly an irrational fear--as long as I don't ingest it I'm fine--but I still feel myself needing to wash my hands every time I touch it with my bare skin.

Lead is just one of those things that give me the heebie-jeebies. "No amount of lead in the bloodstream is acceptable," I remember one medical YouTuber (a real doctor) saying. Eugh.

Lead plays havoc with your body in so many ways, from destroying your neurons to killing your liver. It's scary. I don't know why.

But hey, I have to do my job, and working with lead solder isn't very dangerous if you do it right.

On another note, I took a picture of the biggest burn blister I have acquired so far, and decided not to post it for reasons of public mental health. Trust me, it's a scary image.

This job has occupational hazards! Heh. Whatever. If I do seriously hurt myself I can just sue for compensation. Hah. Oh how the world works.

Reaching the level of perfection that my instructors want from my work is difficult, but rewarding, and I know I will eventually get the hang of doing things perfectly the first time. It's just going to take a little while.

I'm counting down the days to the weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment