Thursday, September 5, 2019

Day 14: Soldering and Spaghetti

This is like a crafting game. Three small dongles turn into one big dongle. What is it for? Mouthpieces, I've heard. Is it strange that I spent all day and produced fifty of these things? Do we really have so much throughput here that we can put together FIFTY pieces that are at a 1:1 ratio with the instrument? And these are sousaphones too! They're huge and rather expensive!

But I digress.

Soldering is something that you can only get good at with practice and much patience. Eight straight hours of soldering, with half that time spent cleaning the extra solder off, really teaches one how to do things right the first time.

I like my instructor, though. She's a friendly older woman who is really short. Less than five feet if I can judge correctly. I'm constantly feeling like I'm towering over her. She has to use a block to reach the bench when I have to stoop to use it.

But she's really good at soldering. It's all she does and she's been doing it for decades. She's probably got those ten thousand hours in!

On another note, I'm making spaghetti the old fashioned Italian way. Simmer it for hours! Cook it with sausage! Stir every five minutes!

I hope it will be yummy. I'm trying to recreate what my stepmother made, and I'm estranged from her so I can't ask her the recipe. I heard it once, I hope my memory is good enough!

I have time to experiment. Details on how it worked later.


No comments:

Post a Comment