Monday, February 21, 2022

The Lesser One Arc 2 Version 2 Chapter 22: Shadow

 

Shadow

We dive deeper into the furniture store. The selection of furniture on sale is getting stranger. Pieces of furniture are made of watermelon, bone, and pure black obsidian. There is an aura about us of emptiness, a liminal space between the walls of reality.

We reach a crossroads. There are three branching pathways that we can take.

I look left, and then right. “I hope you brought some way for us to get out.”

Blake nods. “I’ve been leaving a trail. But it probably won’t help, as this dungeon is always shifting. The way we came in won’t be the way we’re getting out.”

“So we’re screwed.” I take a step forward.

Something screeches. In the distance, a wail rises, one that sends shivers down my spine.

“What the hell is that?” I shudder.

“Something bad, I presume.” Mandrake pulls a gun out of his coat. He checks it and pulls back the catch.

I conjure a gun as well. Blake brings back his large kitchen knife. We continue.

A shadow is cast on the wall from around a corner. Blake ushers us into a cove where a bunk bed is being displayed.

A beast of unimaginable terror stalks past us. It stands on two legs, and clicks its jaw like an insect. Its tail sweeps back and forth. All I can see is the lower half, but already I know it’s a formidable monster. One that we probably shouldn’t face head-on.

The monster stops, sniffing. It turns around. Its feet slap the floor.

Mandrake holds his hand to his mouth. Blake keeps his finger at his lips. I nod once, pushing myself deeper into the corner of the bedframe.

Something clatters in the distance. The monster growls, and then stalks off in the direction of the noise. When the monster is far enough away, we all let out breaths of relief.

Blake wipes sweat away from his forehead. “I was not expecting that.”

Mandrake stands up. “We’re going to have to be much quieter form here on out.”

We crawl out of the bunk bed and look at each other. We nod. Then we start walking.

The display rooms never stop. There are always new pieces of furniture to put on show. The lights above us are soft, illuminating the floor with that atmosphere one gets in an empty supermarket.

There is a clatter in the distance. Mandrake and Blake stop, taking up defensive stances.

“More of those kettle monsters?” I look around.

Mandrake shakes his head. “I do not think these are the same kind of beings we fought before.”

A walking alarm clock clambers to the top of a partition and looks down at us. It speaks with a ringing voice, reminiscent of a synthesizer.

“Recognized individual. Proceeding to implement security measure four.”

“Security measure—” We are teleported to a gigantic open room filled with cardboard boxes. They are stacked high enough that I can’t see the top. There is a fog that permeates the upper levels. I feel mist gathering on my arm hair. I feel as if I am in the middle of a dream.

A voice speaks from above. “Greetings. My name is Robert. I am the owner of this establishment. Please state your reasoning for entering my store.”

Blake looks up, turning around as he does so. “We came here to speak with you. We want to know more about the furniture that you create?”

“You are not searching for lost riches or a killer deal?”

“Um, no.” Blake rubs his neck. “I just want to talk with you.”

“Very well then.”

A shadowy figure floats down from above. It is a being of pure black, with a smoky outline that distinguishes it from the background. It folds its hands. “What do you wish to ask.”

“I want to know. I want to talk with you about furniture. You see, my spirit is furniture.” Blake bows. “I idolize you. You are someone who managed to create all this furniture. I really want to get to know you.”

“You wish to speak with me? You braved the labyrinth just for that?”

“Yes.” Blake smiles. “So I have a question for you. Where do you get your inspiration from?”

I look at Mandrake, and he shakes his head. We both shrug.

Blake kneels before the shadow. “I love furniture. I live and breath it. I would love to live here for some time and be your apprentice.”

“You flatter me.” The shadow appears to be a little surprised by Blake. It leans its chin on its fist. “But I must warn you. This place is magical beyond my control. There are beings here who grew from the aether surrounding my construction.”

“Right.” Mandrake crosses his arms. “What was with that terrifying monster that almost ate us?”

“Oh, you’re speaking of the Guardian. Well, I don’t know where he came from, but he’s a really good guard dog.” The shadow sighs. “Fine. What is your name, person who seeks to be my apprentice?”

“Blake. It’s nice to meet you.” Blake extends his arm.

Shadow shakes Blake’s hand, leaving behind a layer of soot on his skin.

Mandrake and I share another glance. Mandrake turns to the shadow. “Can we go home now?” He raises an eyebrow.

The shadow leans back. “Sure, sure.”

Blake holds up his hand. “Wait. Markus, you helped me out. In return I’ll give you my vote.”

The shadow chuckles. “Yup.” He snaps his fingers and the two of us, Mandrake and I, pop into existence outside the furniture store.

Mandrake puts his hands on his hips and sighs. “Goodness.” He shakes his head. “Blake is always doing weird things for his passion. He really got himself into something big this time.”

“Do you think he’s going to be with that shadow person for a long time?”

“Probably.” Mandrake turns away. “Well, kid. You got another vote. How many is that now?”

“Eight.”

“Six more to go then, lad!” Mandrake slaps me on the back. “In any case, you’d probably go catch up with your butler and your employer. They’re probably wondering where you went.”

I check my watch. “Well, only ten minutes passed. Even though we spent hours in there.”

Mandrake checks his watch. “Well I’ll be.”

I call up Sebastian and, ten minutes later, he pulls up to the curb in the limo. We get in.

Sebastian turns around to look at us. “Did you get what you needed?” He appears confused. “I was just driving away and you call ten minutes later. How did you get everything done in there? And where’s Blake?”

Mandrake shakes his head. “Time was dilated in there. We left Blake to be the apprentice of a strange furniture creating shadow. The person who runs that complex.”

Sebastian sighs. “Well, playing around with magic is all and good, but I really think you should stop getting yourself into these messes in the first place.”

“Thanks for the concern, Sebastian.” I grin. “That was easier than I expected. I got another vote, and I got to see a really interesting place.”

Sebastian grips the wheel. “We’re being followed.”

Horns honk, like a circus is on the move. Explosions follow. People scream. Something tears through concrete. There is the sound of a huge motor, like that of a hot rod. Music, like that of a carnival, wafts on the air. Someone cackles.

I look behind myself and burst out laughing. A clown train is on our tail. Unicycles, makeup, balloons, and clown bikes, as well as a clown car with about ten clowns shoved into it.

I rub my hair. “Man, they really went all out on this one!” I laugh again, even though I know this is deadly serious.

“Deeve.” Mandrake grits his teeth. “This is nothing to laugh at.”

“But it’s a clown crusade!” I laugh again, and conjure an RPG. “Eat this, clowns!” I lean out the window and fire the rocket at the clown car. A number of clowns perform a trapeze act and knock the rocket out of the air.

I pull back into the limo. “Well then.”

Sebastian shakes his head. “They aren’t as harmless as they look. Every one of those clowns is a cold blooded killer.”

The clowns bring out a gigantic gatling gun that is painted bright colors and looks like the head of an elephant. They open fire. Bullets crack against the bulletproof glass of the limo. Several civilian cars get caught in the crossfire and spin out, crashing into buildings. The people on the street start screaming, running away in all directions. Sebastian weaves us through the London traffic. He pilots the limo with expertise, threading small gaps and twisting the limo’s body to make it past panicking cars and people.

The clown car, on the other hand, just crunches right over other vehicles with its gigantic inflated wheels. Shards of metal fly everywhere. The clown car spits flames from its numerous pipes. The unicycles are gas powered, pimped out like a biker gangs’ ride, but they’re still unicycles.

Mandrake grips my shoulder. “Do you have the orb on you right now?”

“No. I left it in the apartment.”

“Good.” Mandrake looks behind us. “We can make it through this if we play our cards right.”

A military helicopter flies overhead and gets a bead on the clown car. The clown car opens its top hatch and a missile launcher pops out. The missile fires, streaking through the air and knocking the helicopter out of the sky. The helicopter spirals out of control, slamming into the side of a building in a gigantic fireball.

Several tanks roll up around the corner.

Mandrake clenches his fist. “How did they get here so fast?”

The clown car ejects a fat clown, who springs through the air and lands in front of the tanks. The fat clown rushes the front tank and punches it. The tank’s thick armor buckles and the entire vehicle flies several meters back. It then explodes in a fireball. The other two tanks start backing up. The fat clown grabs a car and lifts it above his head, throwing it at one of the tanks. The tank shoots at the oncoming car, but doesn’t stop it. The car lands on top of the tank and disables the gun. The final tank attempts to run. The fat clown cracks his knuckles and spits on them. Then he rushes the tank.

The tank fires its machine gun at the clown, but the bullets just ping off of the clown’s suit.

“We have to save them.” I fling open the door.

“What can you do?” Mandrake tries to pull me back in. “That clown just took a machinegun to the face!”

I conjure a small dart. “If this penetrates his skin, he’s going down.”

“You won’t be able to!”

I clap my hands together. “Portal beings, heed my call. We need to save the city.”

Dozens of portals open all around me.

Mandrake snaps his fingers. “Got it!” He claps his hands together and even more portals open.

At least forty portal beings step out onto the pavement. In about thirty seconds, we’ve assembled an army. It’s the first time that I’ve called portal beings out in force.

Portals open near the clown car. More clowns step out from them.

Mandrake spits. “It looks like this is going to be a showdown.”

“Shootout at OK Corral?”

Mandrake chuckles. “You got it.”

Several armored vehicles careen around the corner. Riot police pour out from them, even as one of the riot vehicles explodes, throwing shrapnel everywhere.

The clowns, the police, the elves, the demons, and the dryads all rush towards each other. Bullets ping against the concrete. Walls are torn down. A building collapses in on itself. I conjure a Rearden Metal pike and rush into the battle. One clown steps in front of me. The world fades away and all I see is my enemy. I point my pike at him. He runs his finger along his neck. I take a deep breath and charge.

The clown snaps his fingers and dogs rise from the ground. They rush towards me, fangs out, slavering, eyes filled with rage.

I lower my pike and prepare to stand my ground.


 

23

***

No comments:

Post a Comment