Thursday, August 13, 2020

Jokes that rely on semantic ambiguity are stupid

Here's one. 230 - 220 X 0.5 = what? 
You'd be surprised that it's actually 5!

If you didn't get it by looking at it (which I doubt you did) the answer is that the answer is "five factorial," or 120. 5! is five factorial. Sigh. 

I do not like these kind of jokes because the only purpose is to create an "in group" and an "out group." This is not a puzzle with a solution that makes you feel clever. It's the opposite. When someone else tells you the answer, you invariably feel stupid. I think these jokes propagate because people who felt stupid about it like making other people feel stupid about the same thing. 

It's not funny. It just makes people feel stupid. There is no puzzle. It's ambiguity that causes the punch line at the expense of those who don't get it. Even if you're told the answer, the lingering feeling that you were too stupid to notice it remains. Sigh. Jokes that rely on ambiguity are my least favorite form of humor. So, why do I keep seeing them on Facebook? Maybe because FB is the perfect place to propagate these kinds of things. A real puzzle works like a math problem, not a punch line camouflaged by ambiguity. 

Even though I hate them, I still try to solve them when they do pop up my feed. I would never share any joke of this kind on my own page but I can't pass up a puzzle when I see it scrolling by. Maybe it's just me. But I hate these kinds of jokes. 


No comments:

Post a Comment