Saturday, September 19, 2020

The Alchemist Chapter 36

Chapter 36

I showed Moray and the scientists a tour of the Kerosene works. We had about forty total employees working, half of them on cracking and half of them on oil collection. Freedom Hill was sitting on a very active deposit of the stuff, and a simple drilled hole was all we needed to start the black gold flowing. Once the flow petered out, we would need better technology, but that was going to be dealt with at a later date. These were prime oil fields. The oil derivatives that would become plastic were stored in barrels for use once we hired more magicians.

“I have a question about the prevalence of magic in the population,” I said, to Moray. “How common is basic elemental manipulation as a power?”

Moray rubbed his chin. “It’s not uncommon, as you can tell. However, I wouldn’t exactly say it’s common, either.”

“So do you think we can find more magicians to do our work?” I asked.

Moray crossed his arms. “Magicians from all over the kingdom have heard of your exploits,” he said. “I wouldn’t worry about the need for skilled magical labor.”

“That’s great,” I said. “We’re going to need plastic to make rubber, as the stuff isn’t native to this region as far as I can tell.”

“Rubber?” said Moray. “I think I’m familiar with it.”

“Do you know where I can get some?” I asked. “I’d like to avoid complicated synthetic processes if possible.”

“I just said I’ve heard of it,” said Moray. “I don’t know where to get it or how it’s made.”

“Great,” I said. “Let’s hire some more magicians and I’ll teach them how to make synthetic rubber from crude oil.’

“Why do you need it, exactly?” asked Moray.

“To use as gaskets and joints for my steam engine,” I said. “It’s one of the most important compounds in its construction. Not by volume or weight. Just because it’s necessary where it is used.”

“This “steam engine” you’re talking about,” said Moray. “What is its purpose?”

“To create energy,” I said. “Either to run vehicles or to produce electricity.”

“And you’re going to build one?”

“Not on my own,” I said. “I’m going to need the help of the entire Royal Society.”

Moray crossed his arms. “Okay. I think I’m on board with this. Whatever your project ends up becoming, I’m going to help.”

“Don’t forget that you’ll be teaching,” I said.

“You said you were planning on setting up a college here,” said Moray. “Were you serious about that?”

“Of course,” I said. “Everyone deserves an education. I’m going to make sure that this college is affordable to anyone who wants to come.”

Moray sighed, rubbing his temples. “You haven’t seen how much money it takes to run an establishment like this,” he said.

“I have money,” I said. “Money is not an object. I say this over and over again, but I’m beginning to get the feeling people don’t believe me when I say it.”

Moray frowned. “That’s it,” he said. “I can’t believe that you would hold money in such low regard. You’re basically throwing it away.”

“Consider it an investment,” I said. “An investment into the future of this world. I’ve made my fortune already, selling armor and weapons and various other things. Now I need to act like a philanthropist and do everything I can for the common good.”

“Not because you really care,” said Moray. “Or did I misinterpret that? You’re doing this for your own good when it all boils down, aren’t you?”

“Of course,” I said. “I won’t deny it. I just want to be able to play video games again. And I think creating a world where they exist would be easier than finding a way home.”

“Video games,” said Moray. “Entertainment. You’re doing this all for entertainment.”

“About right,” I said.

Moray looked away. “You’re strange.”

“You’ve said that before,” I said.

“I’ll say it again. You’re strange.”

“Um, thanks, I guess,” I said.

Moray looked me up and down. “And I like people who are just a bit on the strange side.”

“Thanks,” I said. “Now, I think it’s time I outlined how to build a steam engine.” I took Moray back to the keep, along with Claude and the other scientists. I brought out a large piece of paper and began to outline what it would take to build a steam engine.

This engine, of course, was powered by coal. There seemed to be a large amount of the black substance already being used by the city for heating. I drew the diagram of the engine based on research done on my smartphone. It was a lot more complicated than I had thought it would be, but eventually I had the design laid out.

Moray examined the blueprints. “This is spectacular,” he said. “If it were to work …”

“It would change the world even more than your guns and cannons,” said Reginald. “This is something that will cause ripples throughout our entire society. Just like when sky ships were introduced fifty years ago.”

“And it doesn’t use magic,” I said. “So anyone can use one. All we need to do to make steam ships is attach one of these onto a sky ship and use it to power a propeller. We also need to make trains.”

“Explain trains,” said Moray.

“A train is a steam powered vehicle that runs on tracks and pulls a number of carts behind it,” I said. “It can reach speeds of up to twenty miles per hour in its first incarnation and even faster with improvements. They dominated the landscape of my world back in its industrial revolution.”

“Okay,” said Moray. “I think I know how we’re going to be able to start this.” He paused. “We’re going to need a boiler and a reciprocating piston. We’re also going to need some synthetic rubber to use as gaskets. Let’s get started on a small prototype first.” I made modifications to the drawing to miniaturize the engine for a proof of concept.

We built the engine in about two days, using my alchemy power to create parts that we couldn’t find or cast on our own. When the small engine was created, I fired up the boiler and watched the machine go. After five minutes, the machine made a strange sound and exploded.

Good thing I was wearing safety glasses, and so was everyone else.

We rebuilt the engine with knowledge from our first try, and the second version was able to run for hours as long as we fed it fuel. Now was the time to build a bigger version. This steam engine “mark I” would be used to run a power plant. I spent several days gathering wires that would be used to transport the electricity, helped by several of the construction men who were working on the school building. The keep’s renovation was also finished at around this time.

I sat on a bench watching the school being built, idly creating light bulbs using my alchemy power. Claude sat down next to me.

“What are those?” she asked.

“Light bulbs,” I said. “They produce light when powered by electricity.”

“Can I see one?” asked Claude.

I gave her one of the completed bulbs. I also held a bulb, and fed it the right amount of current to make it light up.

“Interesting,” said Claude. “It works different from a magical werelight.”

“It’s a physical process that causes it to work,” I said. “You know how iron lights up when it’s heated?”

“Sure,” said Claude. “Everyone knows that.” She seemed to think for a minute. “I see. So that little filament in the bulb is doing what hot iron does.”

“Except its tungsten in a vacuum and much hotter,” I said. I put the bulb down, ceasing to feed it energy. “I want to thank you for sticking with me,” I said.

“It’s nothing,” said Claude. “I’m an angel. I have time. I’m not even a third of the way through the lifespan of my species.”

“Sometimes I forget that,” I said. “That I’m also going to live for a very long time. It’s just that something tells me to keep working.”

I caught sight of Yonas walking up the road to Freedom Hill. I waved, and he waved back. He was carrying a walking stick and a large pack.

“Hello!” I said. “Wile just left us a day ago. Did you see him on the road?”

“I passed him,” said Yonas, approaching us. He stopped in front of where I was sitting. “He was carrying his favorite lute.”

“He said he was playing bard,” I said. “And I suppose wandering is what a lot of bards do.”

Yonas sat down next to me. “I came to tell you that dragon hunting has gone down by seventy percent in the last month.”

“Really?” I said.

“And your newspaper is a big hit, at least among the literate. I think you know this, but I’ve been doing the job you gave me. I’m really enjoying being a reporter. It allows me to see things I wouldn’t otherwise.”

“That’s great,” I said. “I appreciate the help. Have you covered any interesting topics?”

“I saw the Littleton fire,” said Yonas. “That was pretty bad. So many dead people, and half the city gone.”

“I heard about that,” I said. After all, I did read my own newspaper. “Are you satisfied?” I asked.

“I am,” said Yonas. “I’m going to stay in this form and continue doing the job of a reporter. I seem to have a knack for it. Also, the pay isn’t bad.”

“I appreciate it,” I said. “I’ll do whatever I can to help you.”

“So, this steam engine of yours,” said Yonas. “Do you mind if I write an article on it?”

“Now you’re talking,” I said. “I’ll be happy to do an interview.”

Yonas took out a pad of paper—produced by the parchment guild under our license—and a pen.

I would have to create ballpoints at some point. The one Yonas was using was a quill pen.

“Okay,” said Yonas. “Tell me how the steam engine will change the world.”

“For one,” I said, “It can produce electricity.” I showed Yonas a light bulb. “Just feed power into this device and it produces a light brighter than any candle!”

“That’s amazing,” said Yonas. “I’d like to have some of those as treasures … Ahem. Don’t mind me.” He peered at me. “What are you plans for this steam engine?”

“I was planning on installing one in this town to create the world’s first electric village. Then I plan on installing a steam engine turbine to power a sky ship. I predict that it will make traveling by air ten times faster than it already is.”

“Very good, very good,” said Yonas. “What about trains?”

“I’ll do a demonstration soon,” I said. “But I need more engineers to work with me before that will become a reality.”

Yonas put away his paper pad. “Okay,” he said. “That’s all I needed. The article will appear in the next issue of the Brownfield Times.”

“Are you enjoying it?” I asked.

“What?” said Yonas.

“Working as a bipedal being, doing the job of a bipedal,” I said. “You’re a dragon, after all. And dragons are proud.”

“I’m doing something interesting,” said Yonas. “And to me, that counts more than pride. I’ve been bored sitting over my treasure and nourishing my pride for the last century. Now it’s time for me to indulge in the things little mortals like to play with. Since they don’t have much time, they’re much more desperate to get things done.”

“And you like it,” I said.

“Of course,” said Yonas. He paused. “I just wonder what would have happened had I not approached you.”

I put my hand on Yonas’s shoulder. “You don’t have to imagine it,” I said.

“Thanks,” said Yonas. He stood up. “I should get going now.”

“See you later,” I said.

Yonas left.

No comments:

Post a Comment