Friday, September 18, 2020

The Alchemist Chapter 35

 

Chapter 35

The three nobles were surprisingly amicable after they tried the Colonel’s chicken. They loosened up a bit and began telling me stories about the nobility and various power struggles. I went along with them and told a few stories of my own, about Earth, that none of them seemed to believe.

“You’re telling me people fly without float engines?” said Recris.

“Well, yes,” I said. “Skyships are an amazing piece of technology, but they’re nothing compared to jets.”

“Skyships are only fifty years old,” said Endor. “We suspect the man who invented them was also from across the phlogiston.”

I shrugged. “But in any case. I have projects that I want to start working on. For example, I want to build what’s called a “steam engine.” It’s a device that creates rotational energy through steam. Once we get one running, we can have steamships, steam trains, and electricity generation.”

“Yes,” said Endor. “Your inventions have a way of changing the way we do things. Especially your invention of the so-called “playing cards.””

“Yes, they’re very entertaining!” said Recris.

“Indeed,” said Kingboy. “We’ve been playing quite a bit of poker. It’s a lot mor entertaining than knucklebones or dice.”

I shrugged. “There’s plenty more where that came from,” I said. “Especially in the realm of sports. There are several sports that have the potential to become huge.”

The distant bells of Brownfield rang out that it was six in the afternoon. The three nobles got up, bowed, and excused themselves.

“That went better than I would have expected,” said Wile. “They did come here to chastise you, after all.”

I sighed. “Yeah, I know. But I know what I’m doing. I’m recreating the economics of my home world.”

Regen brought the village elder, Barns, into the dining room.

“What do you need?” I asked.

Barns rubbed his hands together nervously. “Well, you see,” he said. “There are many peasants from nearby towns who wish to move here. I was turning them away, but they insisted that I bring the issue to you, our lord.”

“Let them in,” I said. “As long as they’re hard working, we’ll be glad to take them as our own.”

Barns bowed. “As you wish,” he said, though he did not look very happy about it.

I walked over and put my hand on Barns’ shoulder. “Trust me,” I said. “I know what I’m doing.”

“That’s the thing, sire,” said Barns. “The people, they—”

“Don’t,” said Regen.

Barns shook his head. “The people. They do not believe you have their best interests in mind. All this talk of factories and bird poop has given them quite a shock.”

I sighed. “Just trust me,” I said. “Are you not receiving great wealth from the sale of Kerosene?”

Barns shrunk back. “We are, sire,” he said, “But we don’t know how long it will last.”

“Trust me,” I said. “That business will only grow.”

“And the people,” said Barns. “The people, they think—they think you’re dealing with—” Barns lowered his voice. “Dragons.”

“I am,” I said. “Dragons are not the monsters you think they are. At least, not all of them.”

Barns looked terrified. “You’re a dragon sympathizer!” he said. His face became red. “You are an imposter!”

Regen restrained Barns. “Sir,” said Regen, “Shall I put out the order to execute this man?”

I held out my hand. “Don’t,” I said. “We will need him and the trust the villagers place in him.”

Barns’ face was pale now, and his eyes were empty. I knelt down and looked him face to face. “I am doing this for the betterment of mankind. All sapient beings, actually. What I will bring to this world will change everything. For the better.” I paused. “Mostly. But in any case. Stick with me for a year. If you’re not better off in a year than you are now, then you will have a right to rebel against me.” I stood up. “Take him home and put him under house arrest,” I said, to Regen. “He’ll be calmer in the morning.”

Barns said nothing as he was dragged out, his only expression one of blank nothingness.

I sighed, turning to Claude. “Do you think I handled him a little too harshly?” I said.

“He was going against the wishes of his lord,” said Claude. “Most other lords would have had him executed on the spot.”

“Ah, I’m not like them, then,” I said. “I just want them to understand that I know what I’m doing.”

“You keep saying that,” said Claude, “But do you really? As I’ve followed you through these past few weeks, I’ve gotten to know you a lot better. You are a strange person, always coming up with new ideas, better ideas. You have no qualms about upturning the very fabric of our society. Why?”

“Why?” I said. “Because I’m stuck here. I want air conditioning. Fast food. Television. Video games. All those things I took for granted back home. I want them here.”

“And that’s what’s motivating you?” said Claude. “I could have sworn it was something different. Like, for example, taking over the world and becoming the next demon king.”

“Why would I want to do that?” I said. “I can get enough of everything through the normal channels, and I have. I’m now a lord in control of an estate. What can’t I do?”

“Just know that pride comes before a fall,” said Claude.

“I’ll keep that in mind,” I said. I turned back to the kitchen. “I’m hungry for some more fried chicken.”

“We’re all out,” said Wile, coming from the door to the dining room. He leaned against a wall. “I heard your conversation with Claude,” he said. “I think you’re doing great things for our society. I’m behind you all the way.”

“Thanks,” I said.

“He’s a dragon,” said Claude. “I don’t think he gets a say.”

Wile shrugged. “Just trying to do what’s best for my friend,” he said. “I’m all for the creation of more wealth than we can possibly imagine through technology.”

Claude frowned. “Okay,” she said. “I’m starting to get a picture of what you’re thinking process is like.”

“Me or him?” said Wile.

“Both of you,” said Claude. “You’re both cut from the same cloth. Always trying to improve things, accumulate things.” She sighed. “But I made a vow and I’ll keep it.”

“Thanks,” I said. “I really appreciate it.”

“Hello!” said a voice from outside, in the garden. I looked outside and saw Moray and three other people I recognized from the Royal Society.

“Hiya!” I said. “I’ll be right out.” Claude and I left the front room and came into the garden.

“This place is bustling,” said Moray, as soon as I came close. “It’s all happening a lot faster than I thought it would.”

“Hey,” I said. “Are these the people who are going to teach and start a college here?”

“College?” said Moray. “Your ambitions have grown, or I didn’t hear right.”

“That’s correct,” I said. “I plan on turning Freedom Hill into a center of the arts and sciences. You four will be the first to break ground here, teaching and doing research.”

Moray pointed to the place where the frame of the school house was going up. “Is that going to be where our labs will be located?”

“Of course,” I said. “I hired only the best architects and builders.”

Moray rubbed his hands together. “I’m starting to get excited about this,” he said.

I looked at the scientists Moray had brought with him. “Jones!” I said. “Canary!”

Both Jones and Canary shook my hand. “Nice to finally see you again,” said Jones. “When Moray came to us with your offer, we were unable to refuse.”

“And who is this?” I said, pointing to the third scientist.

“This is Reginald,” said Moray. “He’s the one who won our bet.”

“Is he going to bring the dog with him?” I asked. “And hey, weren’t you rivals?”

“Rivals who respect each other,” said Reginald. “It’s nice to finally meet you face to face, Markus.” We shook hands. “The dog is out there having a great time.”

I looked where Reginald was pointing and saw a beautiful golden retriever with black spots running amok in the construction site. I smiled. “Great,” I said. “I’m happy to have a dog with us.”

I led the scientists to where the architect for the school house was looking over his diagrams.

“If there’s anything you want to change in the designs,” I said, “Now is the chance.”

Reginald took the chance, walking up to the architect and beginning a discussion about room size and door placement.

“While he’s doing that,” said Moray, “Do you want to get something to eat?”

“Um, I already ate,” I said.

“Something on you smells good,” said Canary. “Like something fried, but better.”

“Oh, you have to try the Colonel’s chicken,” I said, a little smile on my face. “Fine. I’ll cook up another batch of the good stuff just for you.” I led the scientists into the keep and into the kitchen, where the oil that we had used previously was still cooling. I heated it back up, sent Regen to grab some more chicken, and pushed Tanna to give up more of her spices.

“I was about to leave,” said Tanna.

“Can’t you stay just for one more batch?” I said.

Tanna sighed. “Okay,” she said. “One more batch.”

Even though I was full, I ate alongside the scientists. When we were halfway through I got up. “I have someone to show to you,” I said. I went into a small closet and pulled out The Oracle.

“Meet the Oracle,” I said. “He’s an artificial intelligence entity with full understanding of human speech.”

“Hello,” said the Oracle. “Nice to meet you all.”

“What’s your purpose?” said Reginald, right away.

“It’s to stop people asking stupid questions like the one you just asked,” said Oracle. There was a long pause. “No, of course not. Does every sentient being require a purpose? Do you? How would you like it if the first thing I asked you was “what is your purpose?””

Reginald chuckled. “The device is smart,” he said. “Witty, too.”

“Thank you,” said the Oracle. He sighed. “There’s such a shortage of smart people in this world.”

“Agreed,” said Reginald.

Litmus the dog entered the dining room and sniffed around. He had probably been drawn here by the smell of fried chicken. Reginald absently ruffled the dog’s hair and scratched its ears.

Moray did the same. Litmus appeared to be enjoying all the attention. I took a piece of chicken and offered it to the dog.

“Here you go,” I said, waving the chicken in front of the dog’s face.

Just before Litmus took the chicken, I remembered that dogs shouldn’t have chicken bones. So I took the meat off the bone and fed that to Litmus instead. I took the bone and put it somewhere where the dog couldn’t reach.

Moray noticed. “Smart,” he said. “Chicken bones are bad for dogs.”

“At least you know that,” I said. I sighed, leaning back in my chair. “It’s been a long day,” I said. “As soon as the school house has been built, I want you guys to move in. I’ll have lodging arranged for you by the time that happens. At worst you’ll have to stay in one of the guest rooms here in the keep.”

Moray nodded. “In any case,” he said, “I’d like to have a tour of the village.”

“Great,” I said. “Come with me. I’ll show you around.”

We left the keep and headed to the hamlet, which was quickly becoming a village.

No comments:

Post a Comment