Tuesday, September 15, 2020

The Alchemist Chapter 31

 

Chapter 31

With business wrapped up regarding the parchment guild, I could finally sit down in a relatively quiet location and think about what the floppy disc had contained. The people of Earth were looking for the philosopher’s stone. The real one. My disappearance from that world and appearance in this one was most likely related to that. I’d have to ask Meliapolis more about this, but for now, I knew a certain someone who was sure to know at least something. I stood up and walked to the shop’s door.

Claude met me. “Going somewhere?” she said.

I nodded. “I need to meet with Moray. I want to know what he knows about the Elders.”

“Great,” said Claude. “It’s been worrying me as well. I don’t know much about where you came from, but it’s my job to protect this sphere from danger, both internal and external.”

We walked to the Royal Society building and came to Moray’s office. He was inside when I knocked.

“Come in,” he said.

I entered. Moray was busy examining an object made of plastic. I wasn’t sure what it was for. It was a twisted, mottled thing that was still quite pretty.

“Ah, this?” said Moray when he saw me staring. “It’s a test of some mathematical functions.”

“Ah, I see,” I said. “A puzzle?”

“Exactly,” said Moray. “I want to see what I can achieve with this new material.” He put the object down. “You came here to ask me something, didn’t you?”

“What do you know about the Elders?” I asked.

Moray’s face darkened. “Who told you?” he said.

“I was given an artifact by one of the dragons, and inside it was information regarding my home world and the Elders.”

Moray tapped his fingers on his desk with nervous tension. “I do not like to talk about those beings,” he said. “Even the mention of their names can bring about chaos and destruction.”

“This is a pretty normal trope in fiction where I come from,” I said. “Lovecraft did it best, and he lived a hundred years before me.”

“I suppose it is true that you and I come from different places,” said Moray. “But, in any case, this is a real threat. There is nothing you can do that will change that.” He sighed, picking the plastic object back up. He admired it in the light coming through the window. “I’ve been wanting to ask,” he said. “What else can you make out of simple ingredients?”

“Um, lots,” I said. “I’ve been wanting to build a steam engine …”

Moray sighed. “I’m changing the topic to avoid speaking about the Elders. Please, don’t worry about them and we can have a much nicer time.”

“Okay,” I said. “Do you have a piece of paper?”

Moray took out a letter-sized sheet of paper. “Here?” he said.

I took it. “Do you remember what I told you about Bernoulli’s’ law?”

“Something involving pressure and moving air?” said Moray.

I put the paper on my chin, underneath my mouth. I then blew. The paper stood up and straightened.

“Now that’s interesting,” said Moray. He grabbed another piece of paper and tried it himself.

Claude tapped her foot with annoyance. “We were talking about an existential threat to our entire world?” she said.

“Like I said,” said Moray. “There’s nothing we can do about it.”

Claude turned away. “I don’t like it.”

“Neither do I,” said Moray. He blew at the paper again, causing it to rise.

I put my piece of paper down. “Now you can see something amazing,” I told Moray. I formed a paper airplane and threw it across the office.

“And it flies according to the law you just demonstrated?” said Moray.

“Yep,” I said. “And you can build bigger versions of these things that can carry people.”

“You told me people fly in your world with machines,” said Moray. “I didn’t believe you until now.”

I folded some more objects using origami. A paper crane, a boat, and a frog. I showed them to Moray.

Moray was fascinated. “Can you teach me?” he said.

Claude shook her head and motioned to me. I turned to Moray. “Sorry,” I said. “Can we schedule this for later?”

“I’m sorry I couldn’t give you the information you needed,” said Moray. “As always, you’re welcome anytime.”

We left the office.

Claude pulled me aside. “Can you stop that?” she said.

“Stop what?” I said.

“Showing this stuff to everyone you meet,” she said. “There’s a limit to how much you can flaunt your knowledge and power before people start trying to kill or kidnap you. It’s already happened!”

“But you’re here,” I said.

Claude shook her head. “And I am a better guard for you than anyone alive,” she said. “But still. There’s only so far that this can get you.”

I crossed my hands. “I’m trying to make this world a better place,” I said.

“And I know that!” said Claude. “But you’re doing it too conspicuously. People will notice you. People have noticed you.”

I sighed. “Okay,” I said. “I’ll try to stop being so open to telling people about stuff.”

“You’re lucky you’re still alive and free,” said Claude. “And for that, I’m grateful.” She put her arm on my shoulder. “Come on. Let’s get something to eat.”

We walked through the streets until we came to a rather fancy restaurant. Claude entered.

“Reservation?” said the waiter at the front.

“No need,” said Claude. She showed the waiter a badge.

“Ah, yes,” said the waiter. He led us through the busy dining room and into a private room. The rest of the Guardians were there, already eating.

“Hey!” said Tanna. “I haven’t seen your face around here for a while!”

I shrugged. “I guess,” I said.

“What, do you not miss me?” said Tanna.

“You’re drunk,” said Itrim. He bonked Tanna on the head.

Tanna rubbed her scalp. “Aw, man,” she said. “I was just trying to be friendly.”

“He’s our biggest benefactor,” said Itrim. “There’s no need to make him feel embarrassed.”

“Do I embarrass you?” said Tanna, to me.

“Uh, not really,” I said. I sat down next to Blasé.

Blasé handed me a menu. I looked it over, and chose what I wanted to order.

“This place is expensive, right?” I said.

Claude sat down across from me. “Yes,” she said, “But it’s for a celebration.”

“About what?” I said.

“An anniversary,” said Claude. “The day when we were founded.”

“We celebrate it every year,” said Tanna. “Just, this time, we can afford something fancy.”

“We haven’t been able to do that in a while,” said Itrim. “It’s all thanks to you. A toast!” he raised his glass.

“A toast! To Markus!” said Tanna.

They toasted.

I ordered my food and it came in about ten minutes. While I ate, I listened idly to the conversation flowing. Nothing much had happened since the last time I had seen them. They mostly talked about what they had been doing since the incursion. Itrim had been adventuring. Blasé had been working on her handicrafts.

I had nothing in particular to say, so I didn’t say much. It was a nice experience.

When we finally left it was dark outside and I was stuffed. Claude parted with the rest of the Guardians and we returned to the shop.

Rachel was standing next to the door. Upon seeing us, she approached.

“We have a problem,” she said.

“Yes?” I said.

Rachel pointed to a man standing at the building’s corner with his hands in his pockets.

“Baron Wolfe?” said Claude, approaching him.

“Ah, Claude, my old friend,” he said, a broad smile on his face. “You haven’t aged a day.”

“And you’re an old man now,” said Claude, shaking his hand.

“Um,” said Rachel. “I said we had a problem, but …”

Baron Wolfe sighed. He moved to the side to reveal Jessie, the young girl we had stolen the Oracle with.

“Ey, leggo of me,” said Jessie.

“Did you get into more trouble?” I said.

Baron Wolfe shook his head. “I’m here on completely unrelated business,” he said. “It’s about your so-called newspaper. Many of the royals do not like it.”

“And you’ve come to warn us?” I said.

“No,” said Baron Wolfe. “I’ve come to support you. Your playing cards are circulating through the nobility. Your plastic weapons and armor are causing breakthroughs that were unheard of a decade ago. No, I want to offer you something.” He paused. “We want to knight you. Make you a noble. We have a land grant ready and we’re willing to give it to you.”

“And that’s the problem,” said Rachel. “Accept his offer and you’ll be the lackey of the nobles for as long as you live. I’ve been telling him that you don’t accept.”

I shook my head. “Thanks, Rachel,” I said, “But I can handle myself. I think I’ll have access to much more in terms of resources if I accept this.”

“But you can’t!” said Rachel. “You won’t be free any longer!”

“What’s wrong with takin their offer?” I said. “What do you mean about no longer being free?”

“If you are sworn in as a nobleman,” said Rachel, “You will have to answer to the crown and all nobles of a higher rank than yours. Up to and including giving away trade secrets.”

I sighed. “Rachel, understand this. I’m not in it for the money. I want this world to be a better place. If becoming a nobleman will give me access to more resources, I’m willing to sacrifice a bit of freedom.”

Rachel gritted her teeth. “I’ve been working with you for half a year now,” she said. “And you’re always like this.”

“If you want to keep working for me, you can,” I said. “But I’m accepting Baron Wolfe’s offer.”

Claude looked between Rachel and I. “I believe both of you have made good points,” she said. She put her hand on Rachel’s shoulder. “I’ll make sure that nothing bad happens to Markus,” she said. “You can’t stop me from being free, and if Markus ever needs the freedom he’s supposedly relinquishing, then I’ll be the first to help him regain it.”

“So?” said Baron Wolfe. “Do you accept?”

“I do,” I said.

Baron Wolfe smiled. “Then come to the church tomorrow morning. We’ll make sure all the paperwork and legal proceedings are properly done.” He bowed. “Don’t forget.” He took Jessie by the hand and the two of them left.

Rachel looked like she was not happy. “I didn’t work my ass off for so long just to have the nobility steal everything,” she said.

“On the contrary,” said Claude, “I believe the new business opportunities caused by this nobility grant may triple your income.”

“Really?” said Rachel, looking for once like a vulnerable person.

“As a noble,” said Claude, “Markus could write his own laws and protect his intellectual property using his own power. Nobility carries many benefits.”

Rachel sighed. “Okay,” she said. “I won’t argue with you. I’ll follow Markus for as long as the business is running.” She pulled out a deck of cards. “Want to play a game or two of poker?”

We spent the rest of the night playing various card games, into the early morning hours. When dawn finally broke, I took a nap and then woke up feeling more refreshed than I had been in a while.

I grabbed Claude and we both walked to the church, to prepare for whatever ceremonies would be performed on my behalf. Only a few people were there, all of them dressed in lavish clothing.

“Shall we begin?” said Fey Grimes, wearing a special ceremonial robe. “My child,” he said. “You have advanced further than I ever could have expected. Praise be the pentaty.”

“Praise be the pentaty,” said the rest of the people.

We entered the church.

No comments:

Post a Comment