Saturday, April 9, 2022

Fairy Opera Chapter 29: Death by Fire

 

Death by Fire

Malgor held up his hands, sword pointing up. “Your master was a great fighter. He taught you well.”

“You killed him.” I gripped my blade. “You stabbed him through the stomach.”

Malgor laughed. “And I would do it again! Your sister, too. She was supposed to be a bride of the God Emperor. Now she’s marked to be destroyed.”

“I’ll kill you before I let you touch my sister again.”

Malgor pointed his sword at me. “You’ll have to defeat me in combat first.”

Beside me, Jak and Tae were battling the two guards, their movements dancing around Malgor and I. The crowd around us was cheering, their raucous voices rising above the sound of blades clashing.

Malgor took a fighting stance. He came for me. His blade struck right at my center mass. I blocked the strike and his sword slid along the length of my blade, scraping the metal, stopping at the hilt. I used the hilt of my sword to push Malgor’s blade upwards. Malgor twisted around me and elbowed me in the back. I rolled forward. Malgor leaped at me. I rolled to the side.

Malgor’s blade impaled the ground, which was comprised of hard-compacted dirt. I rushed at him while his sword was stuck. Malgor leaped backwards, his sword still in the ground. Just then, one of his guards came within reach of him. He kicked his guard down and grabbed the guard’s sword.

Tae stabbed the guard through the chest moments later. Malgor swept his new sword through the air. He charged at me.

We traded more blows. The sparks between our blades flew in all directions. Malgor tried kicking me. I got my foot underneath his, causing us to teeter. I disengaged and backed away.

Malgor stepped back as well, his chest rising and falling. His eyes were full of fury. “I’ll catch you one day.” He stepped away, pulled out a scroll, and started chanting. I understood his intentions. He was teleporting away.

“Apropos!” I pointed at Malgor.

Malgor’s spell fizzled. I chased after him, through the crowd, as he attempted to flee. He leaped onto the top of a building. With my magic buffs, I was capable of that as well, so I leaped up and followed him. Malgor continued to flee across the cityscape, the two of us playing a game of tag as we bounced between rooftops.

Malgor stopped on the top of a tenement. He held out his sword.

“You’re persistent.” He took up a fighting stance.

I leaped onto the same rooftop. “I need to defeat you. You kidnapped my sister and killed my master. I won’t let you escape this time.”

Malgor laughed. “I can escape if I want. I’m just stringing you along so that my guards can make short work of your friends.”

“They can hold their own.” I held my sword out. “Let’s finish this.” We came at each other once more. Malgor attempted to trip me, but I dodged his attempt and slashed at his shoulder, cutting deep into his flesh. Malgor cried out and backed away quickly. Blood dripped from his clothing.

I rushed him. My sword penetrated his chest. Malgor dropped his sword.

“You have not yet defeated me.” Malgor’s eyes burned bright red. “I will return, more powerful than before. You have not seen the end of me.” His entire body was engulfed in flames, which ate him and left nothing but ashes. I knelt down and let my sword clatter to the rooftop. Malgor was gone.

Tae and Jak ran through the street below the tenement. I leaped down and met with them.

“Did you manage to defeat the guards?” I wiped ash from my hands.

Tae nodded. “The crowd attacked them as soon as Malgor left. That made it easy for us to rout them.”

“I defeated him. He’s not dead, but I defeated him, and fulfilled my contract with Baphomet.”

“What do you mean, he’s not dead?”

“He used some sort of magic to revive himself somewhere else. But I was triumphant.”

Tae sighed. “Then we’ll have to work with that. We have time, after all. Our army is coming and we will be able to declare our independence once Baphomet’s troops arrive.”

Jak shook his head. “I don’t think we should rely on that.” He shrugged. “But we can talk about that later. For now, we need to speak with Andrew.”

About an hour later, the three of us were standing in Andrew’s office. Andrew stood against the window, looking out at the city.

“Now that we’ve spurned the Empire by killing one of their cardinals, we’re going to have to move up the timetable.”

“I’ve secured us a large force from Baphomet.”

Andrew grimaced, which I could tell through his reflection in the window. “I would have wanted to not get him involved, but at this point we do not have much of a choice.”

“His army should be arriving soon.” I looked at the table in the room, where a half-eaten teacake sat next to a cold cup of coffee. “You’re stressed, aren’t you?”

“Why wouldn’t I be?” Andrew sighed. “In any case, I appreciate your help. The council has decided to elect you to office.”

“Wait, me? I’m just eighteen!”

“But you’ve done more than most people will do in their entire lives. You defeated a cardinal in single combat. You really don’t have to be humble. Plus, and this is major, you are a technomage. Your magic skills will be invaluable to help us win this war.”

I bowed. “I thank you for the honor. I will do whatever I can to live up to your expectations of me.”

Andrew turned and looked at me. His face was considerably kinder than a moment before. “I appreciate your resolve and accept it. Welcome to the Rebellion, Rock.” Andrew looked at Tae and Jak. “The council has also decided to elect you two as members of its senate.”

“Senate?” Jak tilted his head. “Does that mean you are meaning to create a democracy?”

“Did we not make our mission clear?” Andrew turned back to look at the window. “We wish to end the reign of the God Emperor because we believe that a government should be for its people and by its people. The previous Rebellion did not believe this, and I think that is why they fell so easily. They did not have a grand idea that they were fighting for. There was really not going to be much change if the previous Rebellion had won.”

I grinned. “I’m more excited than ever to be a part of this. I appreciate everything you’ve done. I want to be a part of this new world.”

Andrew smiled. “Good.”

A butler pushed open the doors. “Sir, a fleet of ships has been spotted on the horizon.”

“That was fast.” Andrew looked at me. “Could that be the army you were speaking of?”

“I believe so.”

Andrew straightened his tie. “Then we shall greet them. Anyone patronized by the Lord of Death himself must be presentable.”

We left the castle and headed back to the docks. The citizenry had routed and captured all the guards of the force that Malgor had brought to the island. Andrew spoke for a moment with one of the council members on the matter and then followed us to the dock.

Twelve black ships were sailing towards our island. Each one flew the flag of Baphomet. When the ships entered the harbor and docked, Muco was one of the first people to disembark. He came up to me and grasped my hand.

“It’s good to reunite with you, my friend.” He turned to Andrew. “Hello, Duke.”

Andrew bowed. “It is nice to meet with a representative of Baphomet under such cordial conditions.”

Muco rubbed his hands together. “We have brought with us two thousand of the best undead warriors our master could muster. With this force, you will have an advantage against the army of the Empire.”

“Are those relic ships?” Andrew surveyed the ships as they were docking.

“They are indeed. You have a good eye.” Muco put his hands on his hips. “We will handle our own lodging and supplies. You needn’t overburden your resources.”

Andrew smiled. “Thank you.” He turned to the council members beside him and introduced them one by one. When the introductions were over, Andrew called a council meeting.

Half an hour later we were in the council chamber. I sat at the table, with Jak and Tae standing behind me. Ami was there too—since it was safe on the island now, I wanted to show her how much I had grown.

The conversation drifted around the rules of the new guardianship country and how to best raise an army. A number of the council members were landed lords with a sizable force of their own; they had refrained from mobilizing them due to the Empire’s ever-watchful eyes, but now seemed like the perfect time to gather our forces and strike.

The conversation turned to money. I offered to sponsor the Rebellion off the profits of my medicine business—which I had received word from Jastle that it was doing well and making record profits. As long as that business remained, we would meet our funding goals.

So we discussed how we were going to counter the Empire’s various strategies. Then the meeting devolved into a heated debate around the nature of democracy. When the meeting was over, I left the council room, and with Ami, Jak, and Tae, returned to the Green Dagon inn.

Amber was sweeping the floor of the common room when we entered.

“Hi.” I waved at her.

She nodded.

The barmaid motioned towards me. “She wanted to help in return for our help. I couldn’t say no to such a face.”

I came up to Amber. “Are you doing okay? You really don’t have to be up and moving so soon.”

Amber shook her head. “I wanted to do what I could. I can’t just sit there and live off your kindness. I need to repay you.”

“Okay. You do that and I’ll do what I can to be kind to you.” I introduced Ami to Amber. Then we sat down for dinner.

Jak folded his hands and leaned forward. “What do you think about the Rebellion’s strategy?”

“About the island hopping campaign?” I shook my head. “We’d need to procure more ships than we have available at the moment. I think they missed how hard it is to transport a large force by air.”

Jak leaned back. “Then you have a proper grasp of the situation. I was thinking you were with them in believeing that, somehow, the ships we have at the moment will suffice.”

“Where are we going to get more ships?”

“I’ve been thinking. The Empire’s shipyards are about two week’s sail from here. If we could raid the yards and steal a number of vessels, that would greatly bolster our capabilities.”

“Ah.” I grinned. “That really is a good idea. And with Baphomet’s soldiers, we’ll be able to field enough men to pilot them all back home.” I put my palm on the table. “Then it’s decided. This is what we’re going to do. I’ll put this plan past Andrew and we’ll figure out where to go from there.”

Jak took a long draught of his beer. “You’ve grown a lot, Rock. Before this journey started you were a simple country boy, and now you’re a military commander with the magic power of an army.”

“I’m not that strong. I mean, I owe everything to Orion and Jastle. They’re the ones who knew everything and taught me what I needed to know.”

Jak shrugged. “I’m just saying that no ordinary boy could have done what you did. You’re an amazing warrior, tactician, and magician.” Jak grinned. “And I’m glad to be on your team.”


 

30

***

No comments:

Post a Comment