Friday, April 8, 2022

Fairy Opera Chapter 28: Army of the Damned

 

Army of the Damned

“Step aside!” A convoy of Imperial representatives moved through the city’s main street. A dozen knights on horseback guarded two carriages. The citizens of Gagna stepped aside, bowing as the convoy passed.

I hid at the back of the crowd. Through the window of the second carriage, I caught a glimpse of a familiar face. It was Malgor. He sat inside with several other individuals.

The carriage stopped at the gates to the keep. Malgor stepped out and waited in front of the doorway.

The gates opened and the convoy entered, closing behind them when they were through.

The crowd dispersed and went about their daily business. I knew that something bad was going to happen in that castle. The leaders of the new Rebellion were inside.

I decided to sneak in. It would just be me; I would use the same tunnel that allowed us to sneak in the first time. I headed to the spot where the tunnel started and entered. The door slid shut behind me. I lit a magic lantern and held it up. The place was the same as before.

I followed the tunnel to the wine storage room. I was less careful, as I knew that Andrew had probably deactivated all the magic traps.

I made my way to the meeting hall. Through the door, I could hear voices. I cast an invisibility spell and hid next to the doorway, pressing my ear against the wall.

Malgor: “We welcome you into our system of governance, Sir Ballahad, duke of Gagna.”

Andrew: “I thank you for your acceptance. Please, have some tea.” I could tell that he was holding back his emotions.

Malgor: “I would like to speak with you about a certain, group of individuals, who were spotted on this island not long ago.”

Andrew: “I have no idea what you’re talking about.”

Malgor: “Surely you know of the crew of the Grand Mahogany.

I shuddered.

Andrew: “Yes, we have heard of their exploits. But why do you think they’re here?”

I immidiately thought back to the fact that our ship was sitting in a covered warehouse for long-term safekeeping. If the Grand Mahogany had been sitting out in the open at the dock, our story would have gone sour. Malgor would have had a reason to purge this island.

Malgor: “I have eyes, Sir Ballahad.”

Andrew: “I do not appreciate your accusations.”

Malgor: “Then we shall investigate on our own time. Perhaps then, you will understand how serious we are.” Footsteps came towards the door. I stepped away.

The door opened and Malgor strode out, followed by two guards. He looked straight at me for about a second, then turned away. I stood stock still and held my breath. Malgor walked down the hallway and around the corner.

Andrew poked his head out the door. “Rock. I know you’re there.”

I turned off my invisibility. “How did you know?” I entered the meeting room, the door shutting behind me.

Andrew motioned to a seat. “You triggered one of my warning spells.” He sighed, sitting down in a plush chair. “I didn’t disable everything down there.”

I sat down. “So what are you going to do?”

Andrew shook his head. “I do not know yet. We can’t fight them outright. The Rebellion is not ready to show its claws.”

“Then how are we going to keep him from finding anything out?”

Andrew buried his face in his hands. “I don’t know. I don’t know why he’s here or who called him here.”

“He probably has spies.”

“That’s a given. We planned for that. We’ve been doing everything as secretly as possible.” Andrew leaned back in his chair and sighed.

“Then we’ll move the timetable up. We’ll kick him off the island and declare our independence.”

“We don’t have the forces!” Andrew stood up and started pacing back and forth. “There’s no way we’ll be able to gather enough manpower!”

“I have a plan. To get an army quickly.”

Andrew stopped pacing. “How?”

“The Lord of Death.” I crossed my arms. “In our travels we met with the Lord of Death, Baphomet. He’s angry at the Empire for stealing his souls. If I can contact him, he could provide a large army for us in a pinch.”

“Really? You’d make a deal with him?” Andrew gritted his teeth. “But there’s really no other way. Okay, I’ll authorize it. The Empire is building a zombie army. We’ll build an army just like that to fight against him.”

“Then I’ll call my contact.” I pulled out a long distance communication spell. “Null Canus. Contact: Muco.”

The spell shimmered for a few seconds. Then Muco spoke.

“Rock. What’s the occasion?”

“Can your master provide troops for our rebellion? We need some soldiers as soon as possible.”

“My master might not like meddling in the affairs of mortals. I will ask him. If he agrees to meet you, he’ll be there in about a day. Is there anything else I can do for you?”

“No. Thanks for setting this up.”

“It’s no problem.” Muco disconnected.

I turned to Andrew. “My contact says that he’s going to open negotiations with the Lord of Death.”

Andrew sighed. “I hate to be doing this. But I need to speak with my associates to see what they have to say about this.” He turned away. “You can exit the castle the same way you came in. Malgor is probably watching every known exit.”

I nodded. “Right. I’ll be extra careful.”

I left the room, applied an invisibility spell, and exited the castle the same way I entered. Once I was out on the street I made a beeline to the Green Dagon. I entered and saw Tae and Jak sitting at a table.

Jak turned to me. “Where have you been? The cardinal inquisitor is here!”

“I was speaking with Andrew.” I sat down. “We agreed that we’re going to advance the Rebellion’s timetable.”

“But our forces are not nearly ready!” Jak grimaced.

“We’re going to ask Baphomet for forces.” I held out my hands. “I don’t know what he’ll want in exchange, but I think there’s a good chance he’ll help us out.”

Jak sighed, leaning back in his chair. “Okay then. You contacted Muco?”

“I did.” I rested my hands on the table. “Now all we do is wait.”

“It’s best if we don’t go outside.” Tae nodded.

“I agree. We can stay in here. The tavern owner is a sympathizer and won’t give us up.” I stood up. “I’m going to go check up on Amber.” I walked up the stairs to the second floor and entered our room. Amber was sitting on the bed, holding a small plush toy in her hands. When I entered she looked up.

“Sir Rock.” She placed her toy on the bed. “What do you need?”

“Are you doing okay?”

“I’m doing fine, sir.” She bowed. “I am a bit thirsty.”

I handed her a cup of water. “You can take water from the basin if you want.”

“Oh. I thought you wouldn’t want me touching everything.”

“You’re part of our crew now. You can have what we have.”

“Is everything okay? You seem distracted.”

I shook my head. “We’re not doing too hot. One of the cardinal inquisitors is searching for us.”

“Are you going to fight him?”

“We are. We’re going to try our best to kick him off this island.”

We talked for a few more minutes and I returned to the lower floor.

About a day later, a man wearing a black suit came into the eatery and sat down across from us. He pulled back his hood to reveal deep crimson eyes and pearl-white skin. Taking a document from his satchel, he leaned towards me.

“We’ll take care of things from here on out.” He handed me the document.

I took the document and looked at it. It was a contract, signed by the Lord of Death himself, with a spot for me to sign as well. I read the details. The Lord of Death wanted a certain magic spell created. If I created the spell, he would provide me with an army “beyond my imagination.”

Baphomet wanted me to create a spell that would “synthesize a soul.” I finished reading the document and decided that it was a fair trade. I signed the document.

The man in the suit took the document and put it back in his satchel. “You will need to prove your willingness to commit to the cause. Defeat the cardinal who searches for you in combat and my lord will reward you. This cardinal, Malgor, has snubbed my lord one too many times. If you wish to be an instrument of Baphomet, then you shall be of use to him.” He bowed and left the room.

I turned to Jak. “Sorry for not consulting you about signing that document.”

Jak shook his head. “You are intelligent enough to decide whether or not something like this is worth it. You are our captain for a reason.” He leaned back in his chair. “Defeat Malgor.” He sighed. “I don’t know how we’re going to go about that.”

Tae tilted her head. “Do you think you’ll be able to create that spell?”

“It may take me a while.” I stood up. “We’re going to need some help to defeat Malgor.” I looked at the door. “We need to talk to Andrew about this.”

Jak nodded. “I’m going with you.”

Tae stood up. “Me too. You’re not going alone this time.”

We all nodded, leaving the inn and traveling in the midst of a crowd along the main street to the castle. Multiple Imperial knights were guarding the streets. It looked like Malgor had established security here. It was good that none of the knights knew what we looked like. We passed by them without incident.

Suddenly the crowd parted. Malgor stepped out from between two guards. He drew his sword. “Leave them for me.” He pointed his sword at me. “I remember you! You were the ones who stole that girl from me! Where is she now?”

“She’s safe.” She remained on the Grand Mahogany in its shed, protected by our sailors.

“Then I’ll make you talk.” He stepped towards us.

I pulled out scrolls and cast my buffs. My body lit up with a blue glow.

Malgor also cast buff spells.

I motioned to Jak and Tae. “You guys take care of the guards. I’ve got the inquisitor.”

Jak and Tae nodded, splitting off.

I approached Malgor. Malgor rushed at me with his sword. “Null Decivio!”

“Apropos!” My spell countered Malgor’s spell. I dodged his sword and cut his arm with my own blade.

Malgor spun around and sliced at my neck. I ducked underneath the attack and kicked Malgor in the leg. Malgor leaped backwards, did a flip, and landed on his feet. He rushed at me again.

“Null Devicio!”

“Apropos!” Two colored blasts of energy converged and exploded in between us.

Malgor stepped back while maintaining his fighting stance. I swept my sword through the air.

We clashed again. Our swords rang out as they collided.

Malgor pulled out another scroll. “Null Back! Library!”

A wave of high-pressure energy shot from Malgor’s hand and missed me by an inch. I rolled away and blocked a strike, stepping aside and hitting a spectator.

I recovered before Malgor could take advantage of my slip. Malgor swung at me with huge swings, knocking me back each time. Sparks flew.

I aimed a kick at Malgor’s leg and my foot connected. Malgor stumbled, backed up, and wiped blood from his shoulder.

I went on the offensive. Blow after blow, I struck at Malgor. He blocked each of my attacks. I had him pressed against a wall.

Malgor kicked off the wall and flipped over my head, landing behind me. I ducked underneath his strike from behind and turned to face him.

Malgor was breathing heavily. “Not bad, kid.”

“I’ve been practicing.”


 

29

***

No comments:

Post a Comment