Friday, April 1, 2022

Fairy Opera Chapter 21: Hands

 

Hands

“Null whisper knife.” I held a scroll, hidden from view, by my waist. It was only half related to what I wanted to do, so I was going to have to improvise the rest. “Cut the rope. Distance: twenty meters, approximately. No air.”

Just as the floor to the noose fell from beneath the mayor’s son’s feet, the rope snapped. The mayor’s son fell to the ground. The rope, now without its noose, swayed back and forth. Everyone gasped. The executioner stepped away from the platform.

“An act of the God Emperor!” Someone shouted the phrase from within the crowd. “The God Emperor has spoken!”

“All hail the God Emperor’s will!” From within the crowd, a rumble started. They pushed towards the gallows, even climbing up onto its platform. “The God Emperor has pardoned this sinner!”

Jak leaned close to me. “Did you do that?”

“I did.” I kept my voice low.

Jastle looked at me, his eyebrow raised. I shook my head. We pulled away from the crowd and left the general area. It was about an hour to dusk, but I decided that it would be fine if we headed for the Green Dagon pub now. When we arrived, I could see that it wasn’t an up and up establishment. The windows were dirty, the walls covered in stains. We pushed our way through the door.

Smoke filled the interior. A number of patrons sat arrayed around the pub’s tables, drinking, smoking. The atmosphere felt subdued.

We found an empty table and sat down. A barmaid came up to us. “What would you like for today’s service?”

“Whatever you have.” Jak slipped the woman a coin. “Juts make sure it’s hot.”

“Would you like a drink?”

“We need to stay sober tonight. But thank you.” Jak smiled.

The barmaid nodded and walked away. Jastle leaned back in his chair. “That was a dangerous move you pulled there. I know you improvised at least half of that spell.”

“I know. But it worked, didn’t it?”

“The people now thing the God Emperor is on the side of the mayor and his son, against the Duke. So some good came out of that. But if you pull something like that again, I’m going to have to slap some sense into you.”

I grinned. “Great. Let’s just hope I’m not in another situation like that.”

“You punk.” Jastle was also smiling.

The barmaid came with our food. Roast pork was piled high on a plate, followed by a few rolls of bread, and some cheese. We started to eat.

Jak appeared to be enjoying his meal. “I’m so tired of ship’s biscuit.”

Jastle lifted his fork. “Indeed.”

We continued to eat and chat for about an hour. When dusk fell, the door to the pub opened and a man wearing a long cloak stepped through. He nodded to the barmaid, who appeared to know him, and then came up to our table.

“Are you the party I’m supposed to meet?”

“Yes.” Jastle pointed to an empty seat. “Sit down. Andrew, right? I’m Jastle. This is Rock, Tae, and Jak.”

“And me.” Ruby flew out from my coat and waved at Andrew.

Andrew appeared shocked. “A fairy.”

I held my finger to my mouth. “Quiet.” I looked around the room and found that no one had heard.

Ruby returned to my pocket, where she changed into her gem form.

Andrew cleared his throat. “I heard that you wanted to help me secure the title of Duke from my uncle.”

“Yes. For a kickback, of course.” Jastle rubbed his hands together.

“Then it’s best if we discuss this in the back room.” Andrew stood up and waved the barmaid over to the table. “Jessie. Do you mind opening up the back room?”

Jessie nodded. “Sure thing, sir Andrew.” She led us to a corner of the pub. The wall slid forward and revealed a hidden room, about the size of our ship’s captain’s quarters. We walked in and the door slid shut behind us.

“No one can hear us in here.” Andrew motioned to the table. “Sit.”

We sat down. Andrew folded his hands. “Here’s the thing. My uncle is a depraved man. He does things in secret that would get him executed under the God Emperor’s law.”

“What kind of things?”

“Things you don’t want to know.” Andrew shook his head. “He keeps a diary. Somehow it gets him off to record the horrible things he’s done.”

“So you want us to steal this diary.” Jak lifted his hands.

“Yes. Steal the diary, and I’ll have it appear surreptitiously at the front door of the local bishop’s office.” Andrew opened his palms. “Do you think you can handle something like this?”

“We can do it. We’re used to sneaking around places.” Jak looked to me. “Rock. You make the final decision.”

“Let’s do it. Tell us where to find the diary and we’ll secure it.”

“He keeps it in his room. That’s all I know. There are probably a dozen hidden safes in his bedroom alone. I don’t know which safe it will be in.” Andrew shook his head. “I apologize for not being able to give you any more information on the matter.”

“That’s all we need.” Jastle pointed at me. “Rock. I taught you how to create seek spells, right?”

“Right.” I turned to Andrew. “I’m going to have to create a sight totem, touch the Duke’s hand, and then have him touch his diary.”

“What’s a “Sight totem?”” Andrew appeared a bit confused.

I pulled out a scroll. “Here. Null track. Duration: long. Touch sensitive, long distance, create library. Form of the penny.” A small coin appeared in my hand. “If we can get the Duke to touch this, and then touch his diary within twenty-four hours, we’ll be able to track it.”

“That’s brilliant.” Andrew frowned. “You’re a mage? You can use magic?”

“Ah, right. We didn’t tell you.”

Andrew sighed. “Well, I’m in it deep already. I can’t report you to the authorities and I wouldn’t want to do that either.” He rubbed his forehead. “In any case, you’ll be doing this island a great favor by deposing that hellhound of a Duke.”

“What about his son? Won’t he have a claim to the throne?”

“If the Duke is discredited, his son will be as well. I’m the next in line after his son, so I’ll be called upon to fill in the role.” Andrew took out a watch. “Okay. I can get you into a meeting with the Duke tomorrow. I’ll come pick you up here. I’ll pay for a room upstairs for the night.”

Jak extended his hand. “Deal.” He shook hands with Andrew.

We left the hidden room and walked into the common area. Andrew talked with the barmaid and bought us a room for the night. He then bowed and took his leave.

Jastle looked at me. “Do you have everything you need?”

“I do.”

We went upstairs and entered our room. It wasn’t small, but it wasn’t big either. The beds were nice enough. I lay down on one of them and closed my eyes.

“Rock. Get some good sleep. We may be doing something crazy tomorrow.” Jak sat down on the floor. “Goodnight.”

The morning came faster than I expected. When I woke up the sun was shining through the window. I got up and stretched and washed my face at the water basin. Jak and Jastle were already up, strapping their equipment to their belts.

We left the room and went downstairs. Andrew was already there, eating breakfast.

We joined him. Andrew turned to me. “I’ve got you an appointment with the Duke today at around noon. The story is that you’re traders from another city who wish to make a deal with him.”

“Tell us more about that.” I crossed my arms. “What, exactly, are we pretending to meet with him about?”

Andrew looked around the common room, which was almost empty. Then he leaned close to me. “You’re supposed to be negotiating a new fleece trade route with Rugman Island.”

“I’ve never been to Rugman Island.”

“That doesn’t matter. I picked the island that was the most generic so you don’t screw up.” Andrew leaned back. “In any case, you’d best get some nice clothing. The Duke is really pedantic on formality.”

“Right.”

Andrew stood up. “If you don’t mind, I’ll help you with that. I know my uncle’s tastes, and what he considers nice dress. That way you’ll have the best chance of seeding him with that tracing device.”

Andrew took us out of the inn and to a high-end clothing store on the other side of town. We tried on a few different wardrobes, and Andrew selected the best for us. When we were done, we looked like rich people. Which, we were, but I had never actually felt like it before.

Andrew then brought us to the castle gates. He announced our presence. The gates opened and two knights guided us across the castle’s garden to the keep.

When we entered, we came into a large reception room. At the end was a simple throne, upon which the Duke sat. He was a fat man, with rolls of blubber under his chin. His clothing was exquisite, specially tailored to his size. He leaned his chin on his palm.

“What can I help you with, traders?” He extended his hand.

I took the opportunity, walked up the room, and took his hand in mine. I kissed his ring. “We wish to form a partnership with you.”

Mission accomplished.

The Duke chuckled. “Fifty percent.”

“Of the trade profits?”

“Of everything.” The Duke rubbed his fingers together. “Everything you do, everything you make. Fifty percent.”

“Very well, sir.”

Andrew shook his head slightly and made a motion that I interpreted to mean fight for it.

I backtracked. “Your grace, it has occurred to me that I am doing a great favor for you. Perhaps you could honor my efforts with a slightly better deal?”

The duke leaned forward. “I do not think so. I know you believe that you are doing good for this island, but I am not one to be tricked. This is my fleece, and my island. I will charge what I wish.”

“Then how about forty percent? That is the most that our company can realistically pay.”

The duke sighed. “I am not one to make compromises.”

Andrew made a slight motion.

“Very well, sir. Shall we sign the documents?”

While signing the papers, I took the chance to touch the Duke’s hand one more time with the talisman. When we were done, we bowed, and left the castle.

Andrew walked alongside us. He looked back and forth and, seeing no one nearby, leaned close to me. “Did you get it?”

“I did.” I pulled out a scroll. “Do you know when the Duke normally writes in his diary?”

“Yes. Before he goes to bed.” Andrew then pulled away. “I wish I could help you more, but, for security’s sake, it is here that I bid your farewell.” He looked sideways, clearly indicating that we were still in view of the keep. “If you do manage to actually secure the diary, then I will be at the Green Dagon tomorrow afternoon.” He handed me a small calling card. “There’s the address of the place I’m staying. Best of luck.” He waved and turned along a different street.

I looked at Jak. “So now we have to sneak into the castle. Once we know where the diary is.”

Jak and Jastle looked at each other. “That may be easier said than done.”

“Which I was expecting.” I turned to Tae. “Do you have any ideas?”

“I don’t. We obviously can’t use fireworks like last time. This isn’t the mission for that.”

I shrugged. “Then we have a day to come up with the best way to sneak into the castle.” I paused. “Perhaps the owner of the inn may know something. They obviously know enough to keep a secret room in their establishment.”

“Then that’s where we’ll check first.”


 

22

***

No comments:

Post a Comment