Monday, April 4, 2022

Fairy Opera Chapter 24: Guide

 

Guide

Billerstrang was a gigantic metal conglomeration hovering in the sky. Dozens of ships were in the vicinity, either coming or going. No land could be seen beneath the crooked pillars of steel. We pulled into one of the city’s many docks. Our away party consisted of myself, Tae, Jak, Ergel, Ruby, and Muco.

Muco parted with us as soon as we disembarked, claiming that he wanted to follow up a lead. So it was the five of us. Ergel had connections with the Contracts Guild, and promised to at least get us through the doors.

We passed through a gigantic multi-layer market filled with people hawking their wares. About half of the people were demi-humans. There didn’t seem to be any discrimination against them here.

The market sold almost everything, from food to trinkets to treasures. We passed by them all without buying, and before long reached a large tower whose entrance was guarded by several soldiers.

One of them lifted his visor. “Ergel? Is that really you?”

Ergel hugged the soldier. “Donco. Yeah, it’s me.”

The soldier, Donco, clapped Ergel on the back. “Glad to see you survived that wreck. What happened after?”

“I was captured by slavers, but these wonderful people here saved me and made the slavers pay for their misdeeds.” Ergel pulled away. “In any case, we have a proposition for the Contracts Guild. It’s sensitive.”

Donco nodded. “Sure. You can go in, though I can’t guarantee that they’ll be able to find time for you. Maxus is currently in a meeting, I don’t know about everyone else.”

We thanked Donco and entered the tower. Ergel seemed like he knew exactly where to go.

I turned to him. “Did you work here?”

“My cousin is a member of the guild council.” Engel shrugged. “I think he’ll be happy to see that I’m still alive.”

“You don’t sound so excited about that.”

“I mean, he’s never really been the friendly type. Always stoic, you never know what he’s thinking. Speak of the devil!”

A wolf man with similar features to Ergel approached us along the hallway. He stopped, his face showing that he was shocked.

“Cousin!” The man walked up to Ergel and slapped him on the shoulder. “You’re back!”

Ergel smiled, though I could tell it was not completely genuine. “Right, Rolor. I’m back. I survived a lot to get here, but we have something to discuss with the guild council.”

“Who are these folks with you?” Rolor looked at us.

“This is my captain, Rock. I signed on with his merchant ship when I was freed from the slavers.” Ergel pointed to me.

Rolor raised an eyebrow. “Back in the business already, I can see.” He met my gaze and nodded. “Okay. I’ll call a meeting of the council, but I’m not so sure if anyone will show up. We’ve been dealing with a lot of trouble for the past few months.”

“What kind?”

“There seems to be a zombie plague that is going through the undercity. We’ve been scrambling to try and control it. But I think we can make a little bit of time for you. Come to the lounge, we’ll get you something to eat.”

We followed Rolor through the castle, up a number of stairwells, until we came to a well-dressed sitting room. There was a kitchen in the corner, with a maid working it. She bowed when we entered.

Rolor waved at the maid. “Make our guests some food.” He then bowed. “I’ll be back when the council meeting is called.” Rolor left the room.

I looked at Ergel. “So you must be a pretty important person here in Billerstrang.”

“Not really. My family is technically one of the big five here in the city, but I’m from a branch family.” Ergel shrugged. “I don’t have nearly as much political power as my cousin and his family.”

Jak pulled a Mako board from his bag, as well as the pieces. “How about we play a game while we wait?”

I agreed, and we played a couple of games while we waited for the maid in the kitchen to make our food. When the food came, we paused the game and ate. It was good, a roast bird with gravy and rice.

About an hour later Rolor returned. “The council is ready to see you.”

We followed him through the tower, up more staircases, and into a large room with a round table at its center. Three council members were sitting at the table, leaving seven empty chairs. It seemed that we weren’t really a high priority here. There were also guest chairs set back from the table, where Rolor motioned for us to sit.

The three council members looked at each other. “What do you want to say to us?” The first council member, a man with a thick white beard, motioned to us.

“We want to make an investment into this city.” I stood up. “We have a large amount of capital that we recently acquired and we would like to start a business whose purpose is to improve the lives of the people of this city.”

“And why do you care so much about this city?”

“Because you’re at the fringe of the Empire. We want to help those who need the most help.”

“You’re being disingenuous. What do you really want?”

I whispered to Ergel. “Is it safe to say it?”

Ergel nodded. “I don’t see anyone who would snitch.”

I turned back to the council member. “We wish to start a new rebellion. One whose mission is to overthrow the Empire and start a new country guided by the principles of democracy and equality. The Empire is corrupt to the bone. We want to change that.”

The grey-bearded council member stroked his beard. “You do realize that the previous rebellion was crushed by the Empire, right?”

“Yes. But I believe we will do better this time.”

“And why do you believe that?”

“Because we’ll be fighting for a new form of government. One where the people have a voice to say, and that alone will improve our moral to the point where we may stand a chance.”

“You’re thinking wishfully.” The council member turned to his colleagues. “What do you think?”

“We wish to see your competence.” The second council member, a cat woman, spoke. “We’re testing you. There is a plague that is destroying the undercity. People are turning into undead and terrorizing the living. If you can find a way to fix this problem, then we’ll believe you have the skills to be a great leader.”

“I’ll do it.”

The council members nodded. “Good. We’ll send one of our aides to explain everything.”

Rolor bowed. “I will take care of this.”

“Good.” The council members clapped their hands as one. “Meeting adjourned.”

Rolor looked at us and nodded. We followed him out of the room and down, returning to the room where we had ben waiting before. Rolor sat down, motioning for us to sit as well.

He leaned forward and folded his hands. “I’ll tell you a bit about what’s going on in the undercity. There’s a disease, we believe invented by the Empire, that turns people into undead.”

“I know. We’ve encountered that twice before.”

“So you know what I’m talking about.” Rolor raised an eyebrow.

“We’ve been tasked by the god of death himself to solve this problem. So, by helping you, we’ll be killing two birds with one stone.”

Rolor nodded. “Good. I wish you the best of luck. My cousin Ergel can show you where you need to be.” He stood up and bowed. “Ergel knows the way out. I have business to attend to. It was nice seeing you again, cousin.”

Ergel bowed back. “Thank you.” He turned to us. “Let’s get going. This problem isn’t going to solve itself.”

We left the tower and returned to the street level. Ergel brought us across a maze of catwalks and alleyways until we made it to a big open pit in the city, lined with buildings, and so deep that we couldn’t see the bottom.

Ergel pointed to a system of pulleys that looked like it was used to traverse the pit. “We’ve got to wait for a taxi.”

About five minutes later one of the pulley systems rose and a few people stepped out. Ergel brought us to the open pully, paid the pully man a coin, and we began our descent.

“How low?” The pully man sniffed.

“To the undercity.”

“That’s dangerous, lads.” The pully man spat tobacco into the open pit. “You know there’s a plague going on down there.”

“Right. In fact, we’ve been tasked with solving it.” I smiled.

“How the hell are you going to do that? Magic?” The pully man wiped his lips.

“Right. That’s exactly how we’re going to solve it.”

“Eh.” The pully man shrugged. “I get people like you all the time. Adventurer types, think they can defeat the world. Well, let me tell you, lads, that that place is a hellhole. I’ll take you there because it’s my job, but I won’t be waiting for your return.”

“Thank you for your concern.” I bowed.

The pully man sniffed again, and remained silent for the rest of the ride. We descended down, and down, and down, passing other pulleys and catwalks where ordinary citizens were going about their business. The whole open pit was covered with buildings, haphazardly placed among each other like broken bricks. Being afraid of heights, I couldn’t imagine living in a place like this.

“You okay there Rock?” Jak turned to me.

“Yeah.”

“You look a little pale.”

“Yeah.”

“Okay then. Stay strong.” Jak turned away.

We reached the bottom a few minutes later and were offloaded onto a platform. The platform led into a system of tunnels that were lit by some unknown force. They cast a dim light around the tunnel system, spreading deep shadows.

A few vagabonds lay scrunched up against the tunnel walls. As we passed them, one of them looked up.

“Go further and you’ll be dead.”

I stopped. “The zombies?”

“Yes, those. But also the Coopers.” The vagabond pulled a toke from his hookah, which sat right next to him. “They don’t like outsiders.”

“We’ve been tasked by the Contracts Guild with ending the zombie plague.”

“Bleh. The Contracts guild hold no power here. They’re too cowardly to actually step foot down here. They send mercenaries down here every now and then, and only half of them return.”

“But we’re different.”

“That’s what they all say.” The vagabond coughed. “But do as you please. I’m in no position to stop you from entering.”

I pursed my lips. “Thanks for the warning, but we’re going in.”

“Your loss.” The vagabond shifted and looked away.

We entered. The mysterious lights continued on for the entire length of the corridor. There were several branching pathways that we passed. Ergel seemed to know where he was going. After about five minutes of walking we came to a door that was guarded by two armed men.

Ergel flipped the guards a coin. “We’re here to hire a guide.”

“Right on in.” The guards opened the door.

Inside, a pulsating music beat resonated through the floorboards. Exotic dancers gyrated around poles. The place was filled with smoke. Everyone in the room appeared dangerous, most of them holding weapons in plain view.

Ergel approached the counter. “Hey. Bartender. I need a guide.”

The bartender, a gigantic cat man, passed Ergel a glass of white liquor. “Don’t know any.”

A man in a corner waved at us. “Hey.”

Ergel turned to him. “Sir?”

The man, who was wearing a leather jacket and had a pistol strapped to his leg, waved us over.

Ergel flipped the bartender a coin and brought us over to the corner.

The man grinned. “The name’s Gin Kalar. I heard you asking for a guide.” He pointed to himself. “I’m the one you’re looking for.”


 

25

***

No comments:

Post a Comment