Friday, February 14, 2020

Avarice: The Realm chapter two: Fort Lincoln


Fort Lincoln

I materialize in an open field that stretches out in every direction. To the north, a fiery landscape of volcanoes curbs the horizon. To the east, a deep, thick jungle encroaches on the grass. To the south, a desert. To the west, an abandoned, post-apocalyptic city.
The starting valley is adorned with four towers, one in each of the cardinal directions.
Garnet is leaning against one of the towers.
“Binder,” she says, holding out her hand. A binder appears in a puff of smoke, floating above her hand. She takes a card out of one of the card slots inside it, flipping it around in the sunlight. She tosses it to me, expertly.
“This is a black card,” she says. “Traveler’s pass. It allows you to use fast travel locations like these—” she knocks her knuckles against the pillar—“which can be pretty helpful to get around.” She crosses her arms.
A couple of players materialize behind me. Apparently they are a group, and as they pass us, they quiet down. Garnet waves.
“Those are probably cazzies,” she says.
“Cazzies?” I say.
“Casual players. Not affiliated with any major government or organization. We do business with them, but they’re pretty much on their own.”
The group of cazzies gets far enough away that their voices fade. Garnet surveys the landscape.
“The Gatewatch knows who I am,” she says, her eyes flickering. “They won’t bother us.”
“I see,” I say. “So, where is our base of operations?”
“Just a minute,” says Garnet. She pulls out a card identical to the one she tossed at me.
“Say ‘binder’ and your card binder will appear,” she says.
“Binder,” I say. A binder appears in front of me. It is empty and unadorned. There is a space that says “no name.”
“We can get you a username later,” says Garnet, as she flips the Traveler’s Pass between her fingers. She taps the obelisk. “Fort Lincoln,” she says. A pillar of light surrounds her, and she is gone.
I tap the obelisk while holding the pass. “Fort Lincoln,” I say. My body is surrounded by light again, and I feel weightless. The ground lifts away, and I watch as the world unravels beneath me. I pass two cities on my way to the middle of the desert area. Scattered around the landscape are towers that are identical to the one that transported me.
I land at a tower that looks slightly different than the others. It stands in the middle of a military base that is reminiscent of those in desert regions in the real world. This is obviously an American military installation. Marine “Freaks”—soldiers with Freax abilities—wander around the installation, working out, chatting, and doing their business. The government has obviously put a lot of resources into this game. Garnet is leaning against a canvas tent.
“So,” I say, pointing to the row of tanks and helicopters. “How did you get those in here?”
“This game is egregiously pay-to-win,” says Garnet, with a half smile. “And a government has a lot of money to spend.” She motions toward me. “Come. I need to outfit you.”
We walk towards the only concrete building in the whole base. Garnet keys us in and, after a blast of cooled air, we walk through the halls to a large, library-like room filled with shelves. Each shelf has thousands of cards stacked on it. I approach one and pick up a card that reads “small canteen.” It contains a picture of a standard military-issue canteen.
Garnet smiles at me. “Say ‘drop,’” she says.
“Drop,” I say. The card poofs, and a real canteen, just like the picture, appears in my hands.
Garnet nods. “Objects can be turned into cards for easy transport and storage.” She picks up a card that reads MRE, Chicken Quesadilla Menu, tossing it at me.
“Eat up. You’re hungry, right?” she says.
I catch the card. “Sort of,” I say. “Drop.”
A standard-issue MRE appears in my hands. I tear it open, and use the water from the canteen I just “dropped” to activate the meal heater.
“Normally you would eat in the mess,” says Garnet, as she walks among the racks. “But this is a good way to get you used to the game.” She takes a few cards from the rack. “As well as objects, there are also cards that contain spells. They are usually one-time-use and do anything except directly harm another player.”
The MRE is better than I remember from my own basic training. Perhaps the recipe has changed?
While I eat, I watch Garnet move through the racks, picking up cards from their places. She chooses about two dozen of them. Walking to a small game table in one corner of the room, she beckons me over.
I sit across from her.
Garnet spreads the cards across the table. “These cards can do many things,” she says, “But you’ll have to rely on your own Freax power to actually close the deal when it comes to your targets.” She takes one card and flips it. “For example. Lightning Cage.” She points to the card. “This card is a staple. It surrounds the target with a cage made out of electricity for about fifteen seconds. That could give you enough time to close in on them.”
I take the card. “And I can only use it once?” I say.
“Yes,” says Garnet. “Don’t worry about its cost. We’re an official branch of the military, with all the funding that entails.” She takes another card and flips it.
“Another example. Counterspell. This card can stop another card’s effects if used fast enough.” She passes it to me, along with about a dozen more cards. “Learn how all of these cards work. They’re all very common here in The Realm.”
I take the stack of cards and look at them individually. The artwork on the cards is quite well done. It reminds me of the card games I sometimes see kids playing in the streets or at the library.
I take out a card that looks interesting to me. Slow. Apparently it slows my target’s movement for a short amount of time.
“I have a question,” I say, placing all my cards neatly in a stack. “Are there monsters here?”
“Of course,” says Garnet. “This is a game, after all. What would it be without monsters?”
“Are they dangerous?” I say.
Garnet chuckles. “You can call them that. Someone of your caliber may not find the low-level mobs dangerous. But there are some beasts that not even a tank platoon with air support can take down.”
“Yikes,” I say. I look at a tank rolling past through a window. “If you have tanks here, how do the, um, cazzies handle the bigger monsters?”
Garnet laughs. “There are a lot of very powerful people playing this game. If you don’t know how to handle yourself, you will die.”
I flip a card around between my fingers. “And these cards work on monsters too.”
Garnet shrugs.
I put the card down. “Looks like I signed on for something strange,” I say. I stand up. “Should I be wearing some sort of armor? I saw those cazzies wearing what looked like reproduction equipment from the middle ages.”
“Yeah,” says Garnet, “All the armor and weapons that appear naturally in this game are based around medieval armor from around the world. Most have some sort of magic ability. You’d be surprised how little a gun can do against a ‘plus-six’ set of anjab armor.”
“Anjab …” I say. I shake my head. “I would prefer a bulletproof vest, if that’s not a problem.”
“Eventually you may find something you like,” says Garnet, as she stands up. “We can get you fitted now if you’re ready.”
“Do you have any of this … ‘plus six anjab” armor?” I say.
“One set,” says Garnet. “But it’s being used. The real-world value of a full set is about one hundred million dollars.”
“A hundred …” I say. I whistle. “And objects here have real world value.”
“With anjab, it’s not the value that keeps us from acquiring some. It’s the rarity. There’s just not may people willing to sell their anjab sets. Or their ‘plumage,’ ‘rastafa,’ or ‘taliax’ sets.”
“Those names make no sense,” I say.
“It’s a game,” says Garnet. “Get used to it.” She walks to a series of shelves containing cards that are arranged facing outwards. Each set of armor represented by the cards is in its own little nook. I browse the sets. There are samurai sets, knight sets, Arabic sets, and Viking sets. Every culture in the medieval world is represented. On a whim, I pick up the chest plate of some red samurai armor.
“Ah, you’ve picked a good one,” says Garnet, looking over my shoulder. “Cherry Tree Plus Two. This particular one is a legendary set with ‘angel slayer’ and ‘worm chaser’ buffs.”
“Explain that,” I say.
“This armor has been worn by players who have defeated the ‘Bloody Archangel’ and ‘Driving Worm’ dungeon bosses,” says Garnet. “Thus, it gets some bonuses.”
I flip the card in my hand. “Interesting,” I say. “Drop.”
A large set of armor appears on my person. Everything is in place, even the straps, which look to be tied with a special kind of oriental knot.
“Here’s a mirror if you need it,” says Garnet, wheeling a large stand-up mirror from a nook.
I look at myself. Not bad. Maybe I could reconsider the simple bulletproof vest. I certainly look like someone from a period drama. I pick up the rest of the suit’s cards and ‘drop’ them onto my person.
I can deal with this. The armor is surprisingly light and easy to move in. I turn to the right and left, reaching behind myself.
“I think we’ve just decided your class as well,” says Garnet. “Kenshi.”
“Swordsman?” I say.
“No, Kenshi,” says Garnet. “There’s a difference. Kenshi fight without shields. Thus, most of your level-up points will go into straight sword skills.”
“Can’t I just use a gun?” I ask.
“You’d be surprised at how many ways there are to make a gun obsolete,” says Garnet. “Even a one hundred and twenty millimeter cannon can’t be guaranteed to kill a high level player with a direct hit.”
“That’s some powerful Freax,” I say.
“Not exactly,” says Garnet. “The power is based on Freax, but it doesn’t manifest like Freax outside the game world. Players have the Freax powers they bring with them, and they also have the game abilities that they earn inside The Realm.” Garnet holds up her hand. “Status,” she says. A semi-transparent sheet appears in front of her, covered in symbols.
“Since you haven’t played many video games recently,” she says, as she manipulates the sheet, “We’ll have to teach you how status screens work from scratch.”
“I think I know how they work,” I say.
“Do you?” says Garnet. She flicks her finger and the clear screen goes away. “Try spending your two level one skill points.”
“Status,” I say. The screen appears in front of me. I flick my finger around to move it. I see a little button that says skills. I press it. A skill sheet appears in front of me.
“You won’t be able to choose your class until level five,” says Garnet, “But for now you can give yourself a name. Careful, though, as names can only be changed with name stones, and those are expensive.”
Enter name:  “Andrew Dayne.”
Garnet scoffs. “Try not to use your real name. That way, you won’t be retaliated against in the real world.”
Enter name: “ProfessionalKiller.”
That name is already taken.
I frown.
“Try not to be too obvious, either,” says Garnet. “And remember that this game has millions of unique players.”
Enter name: “RoundTable.”
Name accepted. Hello, ROUNDTABLE.
Garnet shrugs. “Good enough. I’ll call you RT from here on out.” She holds up her finger. “Display.” A name floats above her head.
CRYSTALGOBLET.
“So I’ll call you Crystal,” I say.
Garnet winks. “Glad you get it.” She looks at my reflection in the mirror. “I think we’re good with your equipment. Binder.” Her binder appears. “Equip: set two.” Leather armor appears on her body in a flash of light. A bow and a quiver full of arrows rests on her back. She taps the quiver. “I’m a thief class. We probably won’t be working together much, but sometimes we might.” She tilts her head. “And that’s all I’m going to have to tell you.”
A higher officer approaches us from the entryway. I salute.
“Sir,” I say.
The officer returns my salute. “Andrew Dayne,” he says. “You’re needed for the briefing for your first mission.”
“Already, sir?” I say.
The officer shrugs. “I don’t call the shots. If it were me, I’d give you some time to get used to this hell hole of a game.” He does a sharp about-face. “Follow me. The HQ building is this way.”
I follow him through series of halls until we reach a briefing room. It’s a little warmer in here, and a projector is displaying something on the far wall. Maybe something left over from the last briefing.
“I heard you’re one of the top Freax agents,” says the officer, as he gets to the podium with the computers. “We follow what we call ‘Video Game’ procedure here. That means our agents get a lot more freedom to do things their way than would be the norm in the real world.” He extends his hand. “My name is Pierre.”
“Andrew,” I say, shaking his hand.
Pierre clicks a few times on his computer and a new power point slide appears on the wall. It’s a picture, appearing to have been taken in The Realm.
“This is your first target,” says Pierre. “He’s a tough one. We’ve sent three agents in after him, and he’s killed all of them.”
I tap my fingers on the table. “So that’s why I was brought here all of a sudden,” I say.
“Mostly, yes,” says Pierre. “You’re the best at what you do. We won’t tell you how to do your job. You just need to kill him.”
“Question,” I say. “Can’t we just kill him with a remote strike?”
“No,” says Pierre. “His magic is too strong. He’s a level ninety in game and has many layers of protection.”
“And you’re sending me,” I say, “A level one, to fight him?”
“They said you were the best,” says Pierre. “I don’t doubt it will take you more than a couple of weeks to reach level fifty.”
“So I won’t be going after him until I reach a comparable level.”
“Right,” says Pierre. “We’re not sending you on a suicide mission.”
“I get it,” I say. “I just need to grind levels until I can compare to his power.”
“Exactly,” says Pierre. “He is an electromancer. He can generate large amounts of electric energy and produce entire thunderstorms. Electric devices don’t work near him if he doesn’t want them to. He’s a mage class, which bolsters his natural Freax ability as well.”
I nod. “Okay. I’m used to dealing with people with powerful abilities. Electromancers aren’t my specialty, but I can handle them.” I conjure a small chip of metal and flip it between my fingers—it’s something I do when I’m thinking.
“What kind of metal is that?” asks Pierre.
I hold the chip out in my hand. “I’m not sure. It’s the most comfortable blend of stuff I can produce. I do it to fidget.”
“Let me see it,” says Pierre.
I hand it to him.
“So you’re a metalmancer,” Pierre says.
“Not exactly,” I say. “I’m a transition metal conjurer.”
“Transition metals,” says Pierre. “Like, the middle of the periodic table?”
“Plus lanthanides and actinides,” I say.
“You can conjure uranium,” says Pierre.
“I can,” I say. “It makes me very hungry though.”
“I see,” says Pierre. “How is someone with your valuable powers in a role this dangerous?”
“I enjoy my job,” I say.
Pierre purses his lips. “You’re the assassin type.”
I shrug.
Pierre turns to the screen. “Well. You’re going to be power leveling with Garnet for the next two weeks to prepare you for this job. I see you are already wearing your equipment.”
“It’s pretty comfortable, actually,” I say. I tap the surface of my breastplate.
“Great. Glad that you like it.” Pierre pauses. “That particular set is quite valuable.”
“Is it?” I say, lifting up one of the fabric corners.
“Several thousand gold, at least,” says Pierre.
“Gold?” I say.
“The current exchange rate is about ten dollars to one gold,” says Pierre. He turns to the projector. “Anyways. You’ll be training in the dungeon complex closest to Fort Lincoln. It’s a mid-range dungeon that should have enough monsters of middling level to get you to fifty in two weeks.” He clicks the projector off. “Garnet will handle you from here.”
Garnet enters the room and leans against the wall. “Ready?” she says.
“Ready,” I say.

No comments:

Post a Comment