Tuesday, February 18, 2020

Avarice: The Realm Chapter Five: Dungeon Beginnings


Dungeon Beginnings

I climb to the top of a building so that I can get a better look at what Garnet calls ‘The Roving Keep.’ It does, indeed, look like a walking castle. The goblins still outside the city are rushing towards it.
Several causeways drop from the keep’s side and hundreds of large, bear-like creatures march out. The bears clash with the goblins in a large, ragged wave.
Garnet climbs up to the roof next to me. She slips her daggers back into her equipment belt. “Looks like we’re saved,” she says.
“Are those bears?” I ask.
“Bearfolk,” says Garnet. “The bearfolk and the goblins are mortal enemies.”
“Are they NPCs too?” I ask.
“Well, sure,” says Garnet. “As much as any non-player character here in The Realm can be considered one.”
We both watch as the goblins are routed by the bearfolk. The American and French armored cavalry pull out and assist the bearfolk from behind their lines.
Garnet puts her hand to her ear. “Yes. Right.” She drops her hand and looks at me. “Looks like our military didn’t take any casualties,” she says. “Though the French lost a few.”
“So the cazzies took the brunt,” I say.
Garnet sighs. “Yeah. But they know how dangerous this game is.”
I shake my head slowly and watch as our combined arms mop up the remainder of the goblins.
“I hope I don’t have to deal with any more of this,” I say. “I signed up to be an assassin, not a grunt.”
“Well, this is part of your job too,” says Garnet. “Defending the weak and all that.”
I shake my head. “Well. I’m just glad that we can keep moving along our schedule.”
Garnet turns away. “We’ll begin the grind tomorrow. For today, I think—”
Hob climbs up the building we’re standing on. “Hey!” he says. “There’s some sort of military puke who wants to see you guys!”
Garnet sighs. “It’s me they want. Just go buy some binder skins or whatever.” She climbs down the stairs to the roof, leaving me alone on the roof with Hob.
Hob puts his arm around me. “I misjudged you,” he says. “For a newbie, you definitely have the moves.”
“This isn’t my first combat scenario,” I say.
“I can see that!” says Hob. “As a gesture of our new friendship, I’ll treat you to some lunch!” He peels off and stands against the roof’s fencing. “The boys have been waiting for some fresh meat.”
“Ah, more Reball?” I say.
“Hah,” says Hob. “You beat me, but I’m the worst out of us.” He grins at me. “And this time we’ll put up something of value for the bet.” He walks to the stairs and begins to descend. “Meet me at the Graven Reball Parlor.”
I watch him go, and then turn to look at the helicopters buzzing around the city. I suppose that it’s because of them we survived with as few casualties as we did.
I turn to the stairs and descend from the building’s roof. After finding a town map posted on a billboard, I make my way to the Reball parlor.
The parlor is a small building with a large façade that evokes the neon signs of Las Vegas mixed with the back-alley red-light Hong Kong aesthetic. A clear signal that this is where ne’er do wells hang.
Oh well. I’ve been to worse places. I push my way through the door and into a dimly-lit dive-bar interior dominated by a dozen large reball tables. Most of them are occupied; I assume the cazzies who survived the battle are spending their loot money. I, too, obtained a sizable amount of gold from monster ‘drops.’ While I was fighting the goblins, whenever I killed one, a little ping notified me that I had earned some cash.
This is how video games work, after all. Kill monsters, get loot. I have enough that I’ll be able to handle the ‘something of value’ part of this event.
I approach the table where Hob is standing. He is flanked by a  burly-looking man; a thin, wiry man with a ruffled haircut; and a rather seedy-looking woman wearing a gaudy purple dress.
Hob shakes my hand as I approach. “This is Capo Two-Three-One,” he says pointing to the burly man. He points to the wiry man. “PeaksGold,” he says. He points to the woman. “Ramma.”
Ramma winks at me in a motion that, to me, is a bit off-putting. I really don’t know what she’s thinking. Capo grins, his arms crossed over his chest.
“I hear you beat Hob,” says Capo. “I’ll be your next challenger.”
I sigh. “Sure,” I say. “Binder.” I pull out my reball starter kit. “Drop.” The box appears on the table, ready to use.
  Capo summons his own reball army. “Let’s put something up to make this game more fun,” he says. “How about that armor you’re wearing?”
I shake my head. “I don’t think the brass would appreciate me gambling away their assets.” I hold out my hand. “But I’m a conjurer. I can summon quite a bit of useful stuff.” A small bar of silvery metal drops onto the table. It is coated with a purplish sheen.
“Bantanum, eh?” says Capo. “That’s quite a bit.” He chuckles. “All right. And I’ll put up this.” He places a dagger on the table. “A Regalus Plus Two.”
Hob scoffs, looking at Capo. “You’re really going to put that up? You don’t even know his power level yet.”
“I’m going to win,” says Capo. “And I only need one more bar of bantanum to complete my armor upgrade.”
I set up my army using what I learned from my previous game. Defend the flanks, protect the tanks, pierce enemy lines with heavy infantry. Even with the starter kit, which seems to be quite underpowered, I manage to defeat Capo in under ten minutes.
Capo, upon realizing his defeat, slams his fist against the table. “Seriously?” he says. “I’ve been playing reball for five years and this newbie with a starter kit beats me this badly?”
Hob pats Capo on the back. “It’s fine,” he says. “I warned you, and this is what you reap.”
Capo rubs his temples. “The knife is yours. Do with it what you will.”
I pick up the knife and the bar of bantanum. “Card,” I say. Both objects turn into card form. “Binder,” I say, and then I slip both cards into their slots.
“Since I won,” I say, “Would you direct me to a place where I can buy a skin for my binder?”
Capo sighs. “Sure.” He turns to Hob.
Hob nods. “I’ll come with you,” he says.
Hob and Capo lead me out of the reball parlor and through a series of winding streets. A small, hole-in-the wall shop is nestled in between two houses. A battered sign reads “South A Skins.”
“This shop is run by a player,” says Hob. “In The Realm, it’s possible to customize skins. This shop sells the best of the best.”
We step through a battered door and into a dusty, cluttered shop floor. A single player is reclining in a chair behind the counter, sleeping.
“Hey, Rick!” says Hob.
The man whom I assume is Rick jolts out of his slumber. “Oh, heya, Hob,” He says. “You here to pick up the skin you ordered?”
“Well, yeah, that,” says Hob, as he approaches the counter. “Plus I have to get this newbie a classy skin.”
“Binder, shop!” says Rick. His binder is decorated with an intricate tribal pattern. “Hm, right. Here’s the dragon fire skin you ordered.” He slips a card out of his binder and hands it to Hob. Then Rick looks at me. “What kind of skin strikes your fancy?”
“Um, I like cars,” I say. “You have any skins with sports cars on them?”
Hob shakes his head. “No,” he says. He pauses. “But wait. I do have a couple of binders with the logos of famous car companies.” He flips through his shop binder. “Ah, yes.” He takes out a card. “The Etemna logo.” He hands the card to me.
I look at it. Yes, it is the Etemna logo—a picture of a falcon carrying an engine.
“I’ll take it,” I say.
“That will be five gold,” says Rick.
I pay him his gold and receive the skin card. “Drop,” I say. The card puffs into a burst of colored smoke and is gone. “Binder.” My binder is now covered with a sleek, well-made skin presenting the Etemna logo on each face.
“I like it,” I say. I put my binder away.
Hob chuckles. “Classic,” he says. “Now you’re a real player. Welcome to the club.”
I thank Rick and head out into the street. Hob and Capo part ways with me, and I wander towards the center of town.
The cleanup from the goblin invasion is going on wherever the goblins managed to break through the walls. The portions of the palisade that were destroyed are now being repaired, and scaffolding covers most of its surface area.
A large building built with flowing architecture and covered in shining glass is at the center of the town. Lots of people are going in and out. I approach it out of curiosity. The sign hanging above the door, in big letters, reads Magic Inc. Below, in tiny letters, it reads South A Branch.
I push my way through the door and enter into a large, box-chain style sales floor filled from end to end with racks of cards. I wander past the entrance area and begin to browse some of the cards.
Reyvan Dagger +2; Selurian Armor; Box of Secrets; Common Sponge; there seems to be no end to the variety of objects that can be turned into cards.
I pick up a Bag of Apples and two Loaves of Bread for the low price of three silver. I slip the cards into my binder—who knows when I’ll need them?
After browsing around of a bit longer I leave Magic, Inc and head towards my lodgings.
I spend the rest of the day performing my Freax meditation and training as best as I can in the small room I’ve been given. I go to sleep at my normal time and wake up feeling refreshed.
When I leave my room and head to the inn’s common area, I see Garnet leaning back in a chair and enjoying her breakfast.
“You’re up early,” she says. “I wasn’t planning on waking you up for another half hour.”
I sit down across from her. “I usually get up even earlier than this,” I say.
“Today’s the day we start our grind,” says Garnet. “Since you’re a level one, we’re going to start at the bottom and work our way up.” She waves over the server. “Get this man a hearty breakfast.”
The server nods and, two minutes later, brings out a piping hot plate of pancakes, sausage, and eggs.
Even though The Realm is technically some sort of illusionary game formed from pure Freax, the food definitely tastes real. I finish my plate without much aplomb.
Garnet stands up, shouldering her crossbow. “Let’s go,” she says.
I follow her out of the inn and into the streets. For the first time, I head directly towards the monolith that dominates the skyline. The dungeon.
And soon, we enter.

No comments:

Post a Comment