Wednesday, February 19, 2020

Avarice: The Realm Chapter six: First Job


First Job

Grinding our way through the dungeon’s lower floors is a tedious, uninteresting job that involves killing infinitely-respawning monsters while following a repeating pattern that maximizes our kill rate and minimizes our expenditure of energy. I gain about twenty-five levels in the first week of grinding, and it takes me another three weeks to reach level fifty.
Fifty is the lowest that one can be and maintain a workable advantage in the “Player-Versus-Player” realm—which is, of course, my ultimate goal.
When I finally reach level fifty, I take a moment to celebrate and then return to Fort Lincoln via fast travel. It is there that I am to receive my first assignment.
I stand in the briefing room with some of the top brass at Fort Lincoln. They stand in a row around the projection screen.
A picture of a man appears on the screen. Pierre points to it with a laser pointer.
“This is Mandrake Signa,” says Pierre, “Known in-game as Mother of Death.” He clicks the presentation. “He is known for being able to plant bombs anywhere he touches and detonate them remotely.” Pierre clicks the presentation again. “As you can probably guess, the ability to create and plant bombs at will goes really well with the job of being a terrorist.”
“This man is responsible for five attacks on US soil,” says one of the brass standing against the wall. “And seven attacks on other countries. He has an INTERPOL arrest warrant out for him. However, INTERPOL doesn’t deal inside The Realm.”
“Right,” says Pierre. “Don’t underestimate this man. He has multiple accomplices, all of whom are dangerous in their own right.”
I salute. “I can handle him,” I say.
“We don’t doubt you can,” says Pierre. “Your track record is impressive. Three targets last year, twenty-two in total.”
“Thank you for that assessment,” I say.
Pierre nods. “Great. We’ll give you all the information we know about Mandrake Signa and let you do what you do best.” He pulls a paper file out of a cabinet. “Here’s the dossier,” he says. “One for Mandrake and three for his known accomplices.”
I take the files. “Is there anything else?” I ask.
Pierre shakes his head. “No. That’s everything we know.” He salutes. “Good luck.”
I leave the room and head to my personal room in the officers’ barracks. I lock the door and sit down at the room’s wooden desk. Spreading out the files in front of myself, I put up a cork board and begin sticking pins in it.
ReaperGoon is a watermancer who can produce high-pressure streams of water, enough to cut through flesh and bone. Ratsi can summon gigantic rats. ColorfulAmber can draw things on a piece of paper and have them become real.
Mother of Death’s goons might not be as difficult to take down, but I still need to keep my guard up. The things I learned about card battles while grinding in the dungeon will definitely affect how I go about my hunt.
I prepare a strategy. I’m going to take out Mother of Death’s three goons before I go after him. From what I’ve experienced, when a kingpin has powerful underlings, he’s more likely to run and hide and let his underlings do his work for him.
I plan on striking ReaperGoon first.
“Binder,” I say. I flip through my binder until I find the Unconnected Track card. It allows me to see the general location of a player. In order to see more detailed information, I would have to use the Tracking Beacon card and attach it to them. However, just knowing which part of The Realm they’re in is good enough for me.
It appears ReaperGoon is currently somewhere in the western portion of the Eastern Biome, somewhat near the entrance gates.
I head to Fort Lincoln’s fast travel tower.
“Roghponanov!” I say. A ball of light surrounds me a spirits me across the landscape. The desert turns into a post-apocalyptic city, complete with mossy buildings and rows of abandoned cars. I land at the fast travel tower in the center of Roghponanov, one of the two biggest cities in the Eastern Biome.
This is where the hunt begins. Right now, it’s probable that ReaperGoon does not know I’m coming after him.
The best way to deal with a mook is to kill them from a distance. Any Freax user worth their salt has a sensing barrier around them at all times, and as such can’t be sniped or killed in a surprise shooting. I myself am always watching for that sort of thing.
As well as this, I have to keep my identity anonymous. If the organization that supports a terrorist knows who I am and what I’ve done, they’ll go to the ends of the Earth to kill me. So far, I’ve been able to do my job without revealing my identity.
I meander through the city until I find what I need—an information broker. This incarnation of the trade is a man dressed in a pinstripe suit sitting against a pile of crates next to a clothing shop. I know he’s an information broker because of the mark above him, etched into the wood. It’s a universal symbol that brokers use to distinguish themselves.
I approach the man.
The man tips his hat. “How can I help you?” he says.
I show the small badge I have sewn into the inside of my undershirt.
The man’s lips curl up. “Of course.” He takes a cigar out of his pocket, cuts, it, and lights it. “What do you want to know?”
I lean against the shop wall. “ReaperGoon,” I say.
The man chuckles. “Ah, yes. Lots of people want the Goon dead.” He rubs his hands. “Fifty gold.”
I transfer the money. The information broker grins, taking a puff of his cigar. “Well now,” he says. “I seem to remember hearing that ReaperGoon is in the business of running an illegal unicorn brawl. Somewhere here in Ropov. If you head to the right establishment the owner might point you towards your target.”
“Unicorn brawl,” is say, rolling the name on my tongue. “I know you information brokers charge for everything, but I have to ask. What’s illegal about it?”
“I’ll give you this one for five silver,” says the man.
I flip him his money.
“Unicorns are one of The Realm’s protected species,” says the man. “The game’s own police system protects them and hunts those who harm them.” He shrugs. “But I guess there are shady applications for everything and everybody.” He flicks the ashes off of his cigar. “Anything else?”
“No,” I say. I turn away. “Ashente.”
“Ashente,” says the information broker.
We part ways, and I walk to the most seedy eating establishment I can find within half a mile of the broker. I find the Hidden Bowl, a remarkably dangerous-looking pub that is surrounded by ruffians and villains.
I walk past the gang of petty thieves around the door, watching my pockets.
“Steal,” I hear someone whisper.
“Binder. Counterspell,” I say. A small flicker of light sparkles around my binder. I turn to face the thief who tried to steal from me.
“Blinding light,” I say. Two orbs of light appear in front of the thief’s eyes. I then deliver him an uppercut that’s sure to break his jaw and send most of his teeth flying.
The little white bits of bone clatter to the ground around me. The thief collapses.
A big, burly man who must be the leader of the gang steps up to me, his chest puffed out.
“What was that for, dead meat?” he says.
I knock his teeth out, too, with a hard right hook. I don’t have time to deal with petty criminals.
The rest of the thieves surround me. There are five still standing.
I sigh, and conjure my trusty bantanum sword.
“Unless you want to know what bantanum looks like with blood on it,” I say, “You’d better back off.”
Two of the thieves pick up their boss by the shoulders. The whole gang backs off. “We’ll remember this,” says one of the thieves, and then the group peels away. The thief I hit first regains consciousness, looks around frantically, and then scrambles to his feet, sprinting into the street and around the corner.
I sigh and turn to the door.
A man in a red vest is leaning against the wall. “You have a way with a fist,” he says. “Those butt-licking pickpockets have been lingering here for weeks.” He grins. “Not that anyone inside is any more moral.” He winks. “I assume you’re not here for the booze.” He points to himself. “The name’s Reggie.”
I frown, trying my best to evaluate the man. “RoundTable,” I say.
“Well, Mr. Roundtable,” says Reggie. “Let’s get down to business. You want to buy some FB-twelve, right?”
“I have no idea what that is,” I say, “And I don’t want any.”
Reggie scoffs. “Well then, why else would you be here?”
“I’m looking for the unicorn fight club,” I say.
Reggie raises an eyebrow. “The location of that place is common knowledge around here,” he says. “Did someone pull a prank on you?”
“I’d appreciate it if you could tell me where it is,” I say.
Reggie points to something behind me. I turn around.
“That building?” I say. It’s a building that looks much like all the others in this post-apocalyptic biome.
“Yeah,” says Reggie. “You’ll have a great time. I recommend betting on James the Rabbit. He’s been on a losing streak, but I feel like his time is coming.”
“Thanks,” I say. I flip him a gold.
Reggie grins, and winks. “Well, if you ever do need any FB-twelve, come stop by.”
I cross the street and approach the building’s door. It’s a large steel construction, with a small slit at eye level. I knock.
The slit opens and I can see two bloodshot eyes. “Who’re you?” the man says.
“I’m here to bet on James the Rabbit,” I say. “I hear he’s going to start winning soon.”
The man behind the door chuckles. “Well, I’m not going to stop you from doing that,” he says.
The door creaks open. I pass through, past the fat man guarding it, and into a crowded open space with a rodeo-style arena in its center. The place is packed, and bright searchlights flit back and forth. Two unicorns are romping around the rodeo arena, kicking up blood-stained dirt. The crowd undulates every time a unicorn scores a hit.
A scabby man shuffles up to me, his one good eye flitting up and down my person. “Who’re ya bettin’ on?” he says.
I shake my head. “I’m—” I reconsider. “I’ll bet ten gold on James the Rabbit.”
“Eh, heh,” says the man. “Everyone seems to think Mr. Rabbit will come out of this one ahead.” He turns away, waving his crabbed hand. “Good luck!” He cackles.
I sit down at an empty seat near the back of the bleachers and watch the battle unfold before me for a minute. Then I stand up and tap the shoulder of the man sitting in front of me. He’s not wearing a shirt, and his chest is covered in alcohol.
“Whaddya want?” he says, his eyes glazed over.
“Who runs this place?” I ask.
The man spits. “Why’d I ever tell you that?”
I flip him a gold.
The man’s eyes light up and he seems to be pulled from some other world. “Well, ya really want to know, dontcha?” he says. He points up. I follow his finger and see a suite, covered by bulletproof glass, and through the glass I see the man himself, ReaperGoon.
Target acquired.
I flip the stoned man another five silver and then climb the bleachers until I am directly underneath the booth.
“Binder,” I say. I take the Periscope card and activate it. It splits into two parts, and I toss the camera half into the air where it floats just at the bottom of the window to the club.
I watch ReaperGoon drink wine and eat a succulent roast pig like he’s at a royal banquet. I guess being one of Mandrake Signa’s underlings has its bonuses.
I take the Footlock card and attach it to a Delayed Activation card. I then slip into an employees-only door and climb up a set of maintenance stairs.
There are no guards. It looks like ReaperGoon is being lax with his protections.
I stand next to the door to the club room. Opening it slightly, I peek through the crack and observe. It’s the same as before. ReaperGoon at the west corner with a woman on both arms, two underlings sitting at a table playing cards, and a stripper doing a pole dance in the south corner. Classic “bad guy lair” vibes. My target is ReaperGoon. While I am cleared to kill anyone who tries to attack me, I want to make as small a mess as possible. The two underlings probably haven’t done anything to merit death, and if they have it’s not my job to mete out justice for that.
I activate the Bug Familiar card and let it buzz into the center of the room. At my command, the bug explodes into a thick cloud of smoke.
I burst into the room. As I pass the room’s center, ReaperGoon comes out of the smoke and aims a fist at my face.
I activate the Footlock effect. ReaperGoon’s feet lock to the floor, and he faceplants into the concrete. I pull out an apprehension module, attach the wires, and ReaperGoon turns into a ball of light that is then sucked into the module. The module beeps.
Target apprehended. Bagged and tagged. I retreat out of the room before the smoke clears, and two minutes later I am safely on the street.
I won’t need to go through the whole information broker thing to get to the rest of my targets—the government can interrogate ReaperGoon and get info out of him.
I walk to the fast travel pillar and take out my Traveler’s Pass.
“Fort Lincoln,” I say. I am carried away in a pillar of light.

No comments:

Post a Comment