Wednesday, October 23, 2019

VIP saga day 4: Baseball, Hotdogs, Apple Pie and Chevrolet

Today I spent a good amount of time teaching a bunch of older disabled folks about apple pie and Chevrolet. It was part of what seems to be a fall bonanza of education about very American things. Basically, I just sat behind a television in front of a group of clients and read Wikipedia articles and watched YouTube videos about how these things are made.

I'm pretty sure even this basic knowledge went over the heads of most of the people there. There was one person who kept asking me about how much gas a car could use. Another one kept asking me about monster trucks. Apparently he really wanted to see some monster trucks! This must have been a regular occurrence, as one of the social workers kinda got frustrated with him and told him "no! No monster trucks! Sit down!"

I do my best to just listen to these people. Even if it is unintelligible, I think they appreciate the fact that I am listening and doing my best to understand whatever I can pick out about what they're talking about.

All in all, I feel like a made a difference today. Tomorrow is computer day!

No comments:

Post a Comment