Tuesday, October 22, 2019

VIP Saga: Day 3: Yahtzee and Bean Bag Toss! (Plus what I like about working with the disabled)

So today I pretty much just played Yahtzee and bean bag toss with the seniors. Pretty boring stuff.

So instead, I'll talk about what I think about the care these people are receiving, what I think about them, and what I think about the institution.

First off, there's the fact that most of these people have very little in the way of awareness. The lady I played Yahtzee with was a marked exception, being able to regale me with tales of her life. (Believe it or not, she had worked at a nursing home!) She must have been at least seventy. I never found out why she was there.

There are some workers that treat the patients/clients with respect. There are others that, well, don't, exactly. One guy I remember was trying to teach these people football terminology and hand signals, and it was pretty obvious that it was over their heads. (It was over my head too!) The problem, though, is that he expected these clients to understand and absorb the information he was giving them, and actually got a little bit frustrated that they weren't "getting" it. His tone was quite condescending at points. I believe in a more guidance-based interaction with these clients, especially when one is trying to teach them something. The caretaker must watch carefully for cues that the client is picking up what the caretaker is trying to teach. And, of course, the caretaker must always be able to give up and say to themselves: "this person can't understand what I'm trying to teach them, and probably won't unless I figure out a better way."

The key ingredient here is not getting frustrated. It's listening to whatever they say and interpreting it through the lens of someone who has been blessed with clear mental vision. Don't get frustrated because the client can't understand things or keeps wandering off or getting distracted.

Maybe my view of this has been influenced by my experience on the other side of the equation. While I was never mentally challenged, I did experience the social-worker client relationship through the lens of the client. There are a lot of things that are pretty subtle that require a keen eye to pick up. For example: realizing the cues that the client gives when they are uncomfortable.

It's best, in my mind, to just listen to clients when you are in this kind of relationship. Nod your head, say "yes, I understand," and ask targeted questions to tell them that you care and are listening to their story.

That's all I have to say. Treat people with respect, no matter what their mental state!

No comments:

Post a Comment