Wednesday, October 16, 2019

Prologue to the VIP Saga: doing the institution tour!

There's this place called VIP services here in the town I'm in. It's a volunteer organization that does a whole bunch of different community services. I have actually used them to get from place to place, as they run a cheap, government-subsidized rideshare program that costs less than five bucks a ride anywhere in the county. Three-fifty if within the same city.

Now, they also do a lot of other things. Let me start from the beginning.

I met with the Volunteer Coordinator (she just so happened to be manning the receptionist window at the front when I came in) and greeted her. I'd left several messages by phone and she asked me the obligatory "How do I pronounce your name/where is it from?"

I would have been surprised if that hadn't happened.

In any case, she led me down a hall that had a very institution-esque feel (giving me flashbacks to the time I spent in the psych ward) and introduced me to several rooms full of disabled/elderly people. They all looked like they were having a great time.

VIP services does not have any live-in residents. The people who spend their time there come in in the morning and leave before three pm. There are lots of activities and fun things to do.

I met one mentally disables fellow, let's call him Bob, who gave me his version of a "high five;" an elbow bump. Apparently, they tell him to keep it to the elbows because he is constantly wiping his nose with his hand.

I may have been guilty of that at one point as well ... But no more!

The place seemed very friendly and I think I'll enjoy volunteering there until my paying job matches me with a client. I'm going to be teaching computer literacy tomorrow! I hope it goes well.

More stories hopefully will be forthcoming after my first day.


No comments:

Post a Comment