Monday, September 6, 2021

The Special Economic Zone Chapter 4: Into the Fray

 

Into the Fray

“So.” Ron tapped his fingers on his knees. “You’re looking for individuals who were part of the enslaved pack of Rea, the Dire Wolf of Farrow Dells?”

“Yes. And I thought you, with your connections, would be able to find everyone.”

“I heard that someone made a big purchase over at Hanson’s.”

Thorn shrugged. “I had the cash. I managed to find about half of them still there, but there are about a dozen individuals missing.”

“Finding slaves by name is hard. They lose their names during the slaving process.”

“Your slaves had names.”

“I’ll only tell you once. They are not my slaves. They are my subordinates.” Ron looked a bit miffed. “If you call them that again I will ask you to leave.”

“Okay. I got it. I’m of the same mindset.”

Ron stood up and faced the window that looked over the street, holding his hands behind his back. “I can trace as many as possible. As you are like me, I will perform the service non gratis.”

“Please.” Thorn bowed. “I need all the help I can get. I also need help getting the individuals I did manage to find back to Farrow Dells.”

“I can help with that as well. I have connections with the bandits along the Western Highway.”

“Thank you.”

Ron looked back at Thorn. “If you come back tomorrow afternoon, I will tell you all I can find out between now and then.”

“Thank you.” Thorn conjured a coin and flipped it towards Ron.

Ron caught it. “What’s this for?”

“Payment for your services.”

Ron bit the coin. “This metal. It’s new. It hasn’t been clipped by the duke. Where did you find this?”

“I was given an amount I won’t disclose by a power I won’t disclose.”

“You can have your secrets, then.” Ron slipped the coin into his pocket. “Anyone who flaunts their wealth like I’ve heard you do has something up their sleeve for sure. Even if you are a level one, E-class adventurer.”

“About that.” Thorn took a step towards Ron. “I kind of want to try the adventuring scene when I’m through finding Rea’s pack.”

Ron chuckled. “I did my own fair share of adventuring back when I was younger.” He extended his hand. “Sure. Just make sure to bring a good party with you.”

Thorn shook Ron’s hand. “Thanks. I’ll be seeing you tomorrow afternoon.”

“Wait. Do you have a list of the people you need found?”

“I asked one of the vulpines who I bought, but he said that their names were gone.”

Ron sighed. “Fine. We’ll search high and low for people who claim to be from Rea’s clan.”

Thorn gritted his teeth. “Do you think you can do it?”

Ron nodded. “I have my ways. I haven’t worked in the underground railroad for this long without learning a few tricks.”

“Underground …” Thorn knew exactly what that signified. He was from America, after all. He grinned. “You’ve got it.”

Ron smiled. “Good. I’ll get working on that as soon as I can. In the meantime, you probably have some “goods” to pick up.”

Thorn nodded and turned around. “Thanks.”

Ron smiled. “God speed.”

Thorn went downstairs and was approached by Bok and Altris. “What did boss have to say?”

“He said he would help me.”

“That’s good.” Bok clapped his hands together. “If you need any directions to get anywhere, just ask.”

Thorn put his hand on Bok’s shoulder. “Thanks. I’ll be seeing you tomorrow.”

“Make sure to give the people you just received from Hanson’s a good meal, will you?”

“I will.” Thorn left the building, where it was getting colder, and night was about to fall. A slight drizzle began to fall. Thorn conjured up an umbrella and opened it, but the stares from passerby told him that this age probably hadn’t invented umbrellas like his before. So he stuck it into his magic bag of holding and, instead, conjured an oilskin cloak like the one on the person he had just passed. He had been reincarnated with a bag of holding, which was a bag that had magical space in it the size of a house. It was common among adventurers.

He arrived at Hanson’s about ten minutes later. Three large carriages had been filled with people, who were packed inside like sardines.

Thorn checked to makes sure everyone was there. They were. He went back to the vulpine individual who had given him the list of names.

“So.” Thorn whispered to the man. “How many of Rea’s pack are missing?”

“About twelve.” The man shook his head.

“Would you like a name?”

The man’s eyes lit up. “Would you be willing to give me one?”

“Yes. Your name is now Nylo.”

“Nylo’s eyes watered. “Thank you, kind sir.”

“It’s nothing. I’ll give names to all the rest of you before too long.”

“Where are we headed, master?”

Thorn shook his head. “I’ll tell you when we’re on the road and have collected everyone in Rea’s pack.”

Nylo looked behind Thorn. “He’s coming.”

Thorn nodded and turned to meet Hanson.

“Is everything to your liking, good sir?” Hanson was wringing his hands together.

“Yes.” Thorn handed Hanson another silver piece. “You can keep this.”

“Oh, sir, you didn’t have to.”

“Keep it.”

Hanson’s smile grew huge. “Thank you, sir. May I ask what you’re going to be doing with these slaves?”

Thorn thought it couldn’t hurt to tell him. “Farrow Dells.”

“Oh, are you making an offering to the dragon who lives there?”

Thorn produced a thin smile. “Sure. That’s exactly what I’m going to do with these people.”

“You sure are a power chaser. With that much money, how else would you entertain yourself?”

Thorn grimaced without showing it on his face. “I’ll be taking them now.” Several drivers Hanson had hired were seated on the carraiges. They took him as far as the city gates.

Thorn approached the gates with the three carriages behind him. A guard stopped him.

“Halt. All carriages containing slaves are subject to a tax of one gold coin.”

“That’s three gold coins, right?” Thorn tossed the money to the guard. “Take it.”

The guard bit the coins. “Good cash. You may pass.”

Thorn led the carriages through the gate. When the last carriage was through, the drivers got up, tipped their hats, and left Thorn with the three carriages full of former slaves.

Thorn walked up to Nylo. “Do you know how to drive a carriage?”

Nylo nodded. “I can. Several of my kinsmen can as well.”

“Then get into the front seats.”

When they were a sizeable distance from the gate, Thorn stopped them. He turned, addressing the fifty-five slaves he had just bought.

“You are free now. If you wish, you can return to your home. Be sure to stay for a while so I can give you new names.”

The former slaves were silent.

“Or you can come with me and build a new community.”

Aki came out of the clouds and landed with a thump next to Thorn.

“You made it.” Aki looked at the former slaves. “It looks like there are a few people missing.”

“I was working on that. You’re just in time.”

Aki crossed her arms. “I assume you want me to bring these people to Farrow Dells.”

Nylo bowed his head. “Please. Treat us well.”

Thorn nodded. “This is Aki, a greater red dragon. She will be assisting you with your journey.” Thorn looked at Aki. “I have some people to find. You don’t mind me handing these guys over to you, right?”

“I can handle it.” Aki folded her hands. “Okay! Anyone who thinks they can walk the distance get out! I can tell these carriages are way too full!”

About a dozen demi-humans stepped out of the carriages.
“Okay. All of you follow me.”

The caravan started moving. When they had crested the nearest hill, Thorn looked back towards the city. He cracked his knuckles. “Well. I’ve got a bit of time.” He used a different city gate to enter than the one he had left through, just in case someone might ask questions. He found his way to the adventurer’s guild hall. Since he had about a day before he was to meet with Ron, he decided to see what kinds of jobs were given to adventurers.

He entered the building and found the notice board where all the jobs had been posted.

[Rescue job: my friends have been trapped inside of a goblin cavern. Please, someone help!]

[Payment: 2 silver coins.]

“Ahh, you’re interested in that one?” An old adventurer with an eye patch approached Thorn. “You must be a charity kind of person, then.”

“How so?”

“Don’t you see? This kind of job should be worth four silver coins at least!”

“I’ll take it, then.”

The old adventurer snorted. “Good luck finding a party with that kind of payment.”

Thorn took the post down. “No matter.” He really wanted to see exactly how powerful he had become in this world. Payment meat nothing to him when he could conjure up any amount of money he wanted. He approached the counter, behind which Eila was standing. She bowed. “It is glad to see you again, Mr. Thorn.”

Thorn nodded, placing the post on the countertop. “I’ll take this job.”

“Okay. I’ll get that into the system. Would you like to purchase insurance?”

“What’s that for?”

“If you fail the quest and are stuck, the insurance company would send a party to recover you.”

“No need.”

“Okay, then. I know this is a D class job, but I have faith in you, Mr. Thorn.”

“Good. Just give me a map to the location and I’ll be on my way.”

Eila smiled, handing Thorn a map. “I look forward to seeing you again.”

Thorn sighed, looking at the map. It appeared that the cave where the people had been trapped was about a mile out of town, at the underside of a small knoll. Thorn read the instructions and then left the city. The guard waved him through—though Thorn knew that he would have to pay to get back into the city.

Once he was out of sight of anyone, he activated his flying ability and was at the cave entrance in five minutes. He landed next to the opening.

A talisman adorned with a human skull stood next to the cave entrance.

“I have a bad feeling about this.” Thorn extended his consciousness into the cave, but found nothing. He held up his hand and created a ball of red magic to light his way. “Here goes nothing.” He stepped inside.

The darkness swallowed him, producing a curved line of black where his magic light reached. He traveled further into the cave, until he came to a fork. He looked to his right, and then to his left. Neither way had any signs of life.

Suddenly he picked up a dozen life forms from the =tunnel to the right. They were moving fast, and were about the height of a dog. Were these the goblins that the job had mentioned? They didn’t seem very powerful. Thorn slid his magic suppressing ring off of his finger.

The goblins stopped just outside Thorn’s ball of light.

“I know you’re there.” Thorn held up his hand, extending the reach of his light. “I know you’ve captured some humans. I want to rescue them.”

“He speaks babble.” Thorn knew they were speaking in goblin tongue, but his magical aura translated. He replied in goblin tongue, which was easy enough. “I need the people you have captured.”

“You speak our language?” One of the goblins stepped into the light.

“Yes.” Thorn lowered his light source. “Why did you capture those adventurers?”

“They trespassed. They were here to steal our treasure.”

“Ah.” Thorn understood. Goblins, though they appeared quite monstrous, were just another victim of the whole system. Thorn wondered when he would meet a monster that he would be happy to kill. “If you just let me have them, I’ll reimburse you for your troubles.”

The goblin scoffed, though Thorn could tell his mind was working.

“One silver coin for each of them.”

“How many are there?”

“Three.”

Thorn tossed four silver coins to the goblins. “I think you should move away from the city.”

“But how else are we to gather treasure?” The goblin was staring at the silver piece.

“So you’re thieves.”

“The humans have stolen so much more from us than we have from them! These are reparations!”

“Ugh. Look, I don’t have time to talk philosophy. If you promise to behave yourselves, I have a place you can live. Until I come back, could you just keep to yourselves, and could I have those three adventurers?”

“I trust you, stranger, but only because you took the time to learn our language.”

Thorn sighed. “Okay. Where are the three adventurers?”

“This way.”


 

No comments:

Post a Comment