Monday, May 24, 2021

The Lesser One Arc Chapter 19: Enter the Darks

 

Enter the Darks

Barley takes out a sheet of paper. “You’re going to have to learn how to file section two four nine …”

After an hour of paperwork and bureaucracy—a lot more than I would have imagined—Barley sends me off with a warning. “I this fails, you will not be treated with respect. I know these terrorists’ modus operandi. They will not forgive or forget.”

I stand up, stretching my strained back. “I think I’m ready.” My heartbeat increases and I feel a bit light-headed. I don’t like to think about the immense danger I’m about to be in.

I leave to room, passing by Chris and Sebastian, who were standing outside the door during the briefing.

“Markus.” Chris steps away from the wall. “I am obligated to stay by your side even through this … Mission of yours.” She turns to Sebastian. “And the Silverbones would suspect something if you did not show up with your trusty butler.”

I smile as best I can given the stress I’m under. “Okay. I get you. It would feel safer if you guys were beside me anyways.” I pause. “Chris, you’re not opposed to getting a bit dirty if necessary?”

“I will do whatever I must.” Chris crosses her arms. “Protecting you is my priority.”

“Then let’s go. Sebastian, take us to the Darks’ hideout.”

We return to the limousine and drive all the way across London to the suburbs on the other side. We return to the same warehouse where I first saw the Darks in person. Someone who I just barely recognize is leaning against the door, smoking a pipe.

I get out of the limo and approach her.

Before I get close, the woman blows out a smoke ring. Her outfit is uber-fashionable. She has a Louix Puttan purse and is wearing Lucchi shoes. Her hair is remarkable in its volume and style, an icy blonde color that arrests the eye. She is wearing sunglasses.

“Boy.” She lowers the hand with the pipe. “I know what you’re trying to do.”

I instantly feel a burst of terror.

“Don’t worry, boy.” The woman’s lips curl up. “I won’t hurt you. I won’t tell anyone else either.” She puts her finger to her lips. “Keep this a secret for me, and I’ll keep yours.” She lifts her neck. “Call me Elina.” She turns around, holding her pipe out beside her, and enters the warehouse.

Half a minute later Deeve and two people I don’t recognize come out. Deeve crosses his arms, a lopsided grin on his face. “You’ve decided to make your choice.”

“Yes.” I am as nervous as can be expected, still mulling over the meeting with Elina. “I’ll join you. On the condition that I won’t kill anyone.”

Deeve’s grin widens. “While I think you are a weakling for that, it won’t affect our business. You’re a metal conjurer. You have access to a large network of demons who work for you.”

“Devils.” Sebastian stands beside me. “We are proud devils. Please do not mistake us for mere fiends.”

I jab Sebastian in the side. What are you thinking?

Sebastian makes an imperceptible motion with his eyes. I think I get it—he is projecting strength. We can’t appear weak in front of these people.

Deeve points to the man on his left. “That’s Gall.”

Gall is a tall, thin man wearing a top hat and suit. A monocle covers one eye. He has a walking stick in his hand. He bows. “Gall, at your service. Killing is my love and my passion. I hope to be able to kill you—I mean, kill for you.”

I shudder.

Sebastian makes a menacing face. “And the other?”

“He’s nameless.”

The nameless man hisses, and a snake tongue flicks out. His eyes are lizard-like, and his skin is covered in scales. “Call me … sss … Nameless …”

I shrink back from him. Sebastian is standing to my right, and Chris to my left.

“I think you should introduce your friends.” Deeve glares at Sebastian.

“This is my butler.” I motion towards Sebastian. “And this is my bodyguard.” I motion towards Chris.

“Elf …” Nameless’s tongue flickers out again. “sss … Fresh …”

Chris darts towards nameless and grabs him by the neck, smashing him against the wall. “Call me that one more time and that’s the grade of meat that’s going to be labeled on your throwaway supermarket packaging.”

Nameless gurgles.

Deeve waves his hand. “Now, now. Let’s go inside for some better peace.”

Chris lets go with Nameless, who slides to the floor and scrambles away on four limbs.

Deeve chuckles. “You’ve found good talent. I sense a lot of aether particles from both your attendants.”

I follow him into the warehouse. It is a lot better furnished than the last time I was there. There is a reading room with couches, several televisions, and a number of beds. I see Ronald sitting on a couch, throwing knives at a cardboard box. He looks up at me and winks heavily.

Deeve snaps his fingers. “All right. Assemble. We’ve got a lot of work to do now that Markus is with us. London’s treasures won’t wait while we dally.”

I brace myself. “London’s treasures?”

“Ah, boy.” Deeve grins at me. “We’re looking to do a bit of shopping before we disband.”

“Disband?” I swallow.

“Aye. Us Dark Silverbones only meet up a couple of times a year to do things. You’re lucky to catch us like this.” He takes a cigarette out of his pocket and lights it. “Have you heard about the Underground Auction?”

“No. I haven’t.”

“Ah, boy. You’ll see when we get there.”

A big, bulky man, at least six five and four hundred pounds, comes out of the bathroom.

Deeve snaps his fingers at the man. “Did you spray?”

The bulky man makes a face. “Yes.” He wipes his hand on his dirty pants.

Deeve points at him with his thumb. “That’s Wreck. He’s an electricity spirit.” He motions with his hand. “Show him.”

Wreck holds out his palm and a ball of electricity shoots out, smashing into the wall and leaving a scorch mark.

“Hey, what are you doing?” Elina stands up. “I just cleaned that!”

I do my best to smile at the antics, even though I am definitely not in a smiling mood right now.

Deeve walks to the couches and sits down. “We’ve got some time, kid. Relax, or go do your job, or whatever. The auction is in two days. We rally at this location at seven AM.”

“Seven?” Wreck makes a face. “Aw, man.”

Deeve motions towards Wreck. “For once you’re going to have to wake up on time.”

Nameless slithers up to Wreck, getting in his face. “Don’t … Contradict …”

Deeve waves his hand. “Enough, Nameless.”

Wreck grits his teeth and cracks his knuckles. “I’ve been wanting a rematch.”

Nameless chuckles. “Ahh, yes …”

“I said, knock it off.” Deeve throws two shards of ice at the fighting pair. They both stop and turn to Deeve.

Wreck sticks his chin out. “Sorry, boss.”

Nameless pulls away. “Won’t … Do it again …”

Deeve snorts. “We can fight amongst each other later.” He pulls out a smartphone and starts scrolling.

My encounter with the Darks has been rather anticlimactic. I was expecting to be told to do something horrible, or at least be hazed in some way. I back away, towards the door. “Um, I’m going to be going now …”

Deeve takes a long look at me. “I almost forgot. We need to initiate you.”

Here it comes.

Deeve snaps his fingers. “Wreck. Nameless. Take this lad out and beat him up.”

Chris and Sebastian step in between Wreck, Nameless, and I.

Chris pulls a sword out of nowhere. “You’re not hurting him.”

“Aw, hiding behind your mommy.” Wreck cracks his knuckles.

I motion Sebastian aside. “Since there are two of you, let’s go two on two. Chris?”

Chris nods.

Chris and I face off against Wreck and Nameless.

“Aw, hell.” Elina puts down her tea cup. “Don’t fight in here. You’ll make a mess.”

“Shut it, woman.” Deeve glares at her and turns back to me. His grin is sharp. “Show me what you’ve got.”

Nameless sprints towards us with his torso lowered, his hands behind his back. He strikes with his long claws at Chris.

Chris parries with her sword and slashes at him. Nameless ducks underneath the sword and aims a kick at Chris’s legs.

“You’re not ignoring me!” Wreck charges towards me, all four hundred pounds of meat a muscle.

Chris jumps over Nameless’s kick and strikes at his face with a punch. Nameless catches Chris’s punch.

I form a barrier of vines in front of Wreck. Wreck slams into the wall and tears straight through.

Chris grabs Nameless by the arm and slams him into the wall.

Wreck rips through the last of my vine wall and aims a double fisted strike at my neck. I dodge with a roll. Wreck shoots two bolts of lightning at me. I conjure a lightning rod out of my right hand and toss it. The rod deflects the ligtning and causes it to arc onto a ceiling fan. The fan explodes, showering us in debris.

Out of nowhere Nameless rushes at me from the side.

“Watch out!” Chris rushes after Nameless.

Wreck aims a punch at Chris. Chris sidesteps.

I punch Nameless in the face. He staggers backwards, his nose bleeding. With a hiss, he backs away.

Wreck showers Chris with lightning bolts. Every bolt is deflected with a wall of molten magma torn from the ground.

Nameless begins creeping over to Chris’s vulnerable side. I charge at him, summoning a sword. Nameless grins at me and then disappears.

I swing my sword aimlessly at where I last saw him. On instinct I activate my blue anima vision—and I see him. Right there. I stab at him and my blade is parried, but it seems to have broken his invisibility.

Chris rolls behind me and pops up next to me. Wreck and Nameless circle us.

Chris flicks her sword. It’s more of a rapier than a broadsword—I don’t know my weapons that well.

Deeve snaps his fingers. “Okay, that’s enough.”

I relax, but Chris and the two Darks do not. Nameless hisses at us.

Deeve does a golf clap. “You’re stronger than I thought you would be.”

I turn to look at Deeve. “I’m not an S-class for nothing.”

“Bravo. I think I’ve seen enough. You can go now. Remember, seven in the morning on Thursday.”

I motion to Chris, and the two of us back out of the warehouse, keeping our eyes on Wreck and Nameless.

Sebastian opens the limousine door and we step in.

Once inside, Chris relaxes, leaning against the plush seat. “Those fighters were no joke.”

“I wasn’t expecting them to be.” I open up the mini fridge and open a can of diet root beer. It tastes great after how tense I’ve been for the last few hours.

Chris is staring at me.

I tilt my head. “Yeah?”

“You are a better warrior than I had taken you for.”

“I’ve been on a few adventures myself.”

Chris looks out the window. “This world is so strange. So many things about it are contradictory.”

I shrug. “It all happened before I was born. The spirits, the portals, the adventurers and superheroes.”

Chris appears pensive. “I have many memories of my home world, but none of when I was trapped inside that portal under the Fourth Law.”

“I think, when we get back to America, I can show you to Dr. Barrimore and he can really advance his research. I don’t even think he’s heard of the Fourth Law.”

“Who is this Dr. Barrimore you speak of?”

“He’s my mentor.” I take a sip of my soda. “And he’s the one who allowed me to absorb that Balrog’s spirit ring.”

“And thus, the devils of the portal formed a contract with you?”

I look at Sebastian for a second. “Yeah.” Then I return my gaze to Chris. “I guess that’s how it worked.”

No comments:

Post a Comment