Wednesday, November 24, 2021

Dollar Tree is now the Dollar-twenty-five tree.

It marks the end of an era. Just like penny candy and the nickel and dime stores, the Dollar Tree is now raising its prices to $1.25. I don't have much to say about this, except for the fact that I've been dreading this moment for quite some time. I shop at dollar stores a lot, and they were a crucial part of my childhood. Now the business model is gone forever. I'm not really mad about it. It was going to happen eventually, and I think that keeping prices at $1 for more than 35 years is quite the accomplishment.

I mean, an extra 25 cents per item isn't much, but it's the loss of the tradition and feeling of a round dollar that I am lamenting here. I have nothing deep to say about this--the forces behind it are obvious and its implications even more so--but man, it just kind of sucks. 

No comments:

Post a Comment