Friday, November 20, 2020

Winds of Magic Chapter 7

 

Chapter 7

School started in the fall like it always did. Rei and I commuted from our next-door houses and for the first couple of weeks performed all the perfunctory actions associated with the first weeks of college. One day a week after the first day I was approached by a very beautiful girl dressed in a modest long dress that was lined with lace. She had black hair down to her hips and bright blue eyes. She stopped me.

“York Dune,” she said, as if she already knew me.

“Hello,” I said.

She pointed to me aggressively. “I heard you scored highest on the written entrance exam. I won’t mince words. Join the student council.”

“This is a bit sudden,” I said.

“What other group will take you?” said the student council president. “You scored dead last in practicals. But I understand your value. You can be of great help to the student council.” She extended her hand. “The name’s Illya.”

“You already know my name,” I said, shaking her hand.

“Come with me,” said Illya.

“I promised I’d meet with a friend in half an hour,” I said.

“You’ll have time for that,” said Illya. Her badge indicated that she was a First. Of course she would be. She was the student council president, after all. “Come on.”

I followed her towards the student council government building, Flower Hall. As we walked, Illya spoke.

“I heard you and some friends foiled an attempt to awaken an A-class monster.”

“Yeah, I didn’t really do anything,” I said. “I was just there.”

“You were part of what happened. Don’t deny your involvement.”

I sighed. “Why do you want me, of all people, to join the student council?”

“Because I see a future in you,” said Illya. “I see that you will become someone special in the years to come. I want to be a part of that story.”

Could she possibly know about my work? I didn’t think so, but it might be trouble if she did.

I pushed the thought away and followed her into the student council building and then into their operational headquarters.

A bulky man with a badge that indicated he was a First stood up as soon as we entered. He had crop-cut hair and a thick chin that jutted out from under his mouth. His eyes were remarkably strong and his gaze was powerful.

“Why is a Third here?” he said.

Illya sat down at the head of a round meeting table. “This is York,” she said. “He’s going to be our treasurer.”

“Wait, you didn’t say anything about me joining you,” I said.

The bulky student waved at me. “Exactly!” he said. “It’s a break with tradition to let a Third onto the student council!”

Illya tapped her fingers on the table. “It’s my decision, whether or not either of you want to accept it.”

“I thought this was a college where student choice was respected,” I said.

“Do you want to argue about it?” said Illya.

The burly student waved at me. “He’s a Third!” he said. “What can he contribute?”

Illya frowned, her eyes glinting. “He scored ten points higher than anyone ever has on the entrance exam.”

The burly student seemed to consider this. “I don’t like it,” he said, “And neither will the student body.”

“Roy,” said Illya, “You have to understand. I’m looking to host a council that doesn’t look at superficial things like rank, but instead chooses its members based on merit and ability.” She looked at me. “Your childhood friend’s name is Rei, and she scored second on the practical exam, correct?”

“Um, yes,” I said.

“Bring her with you next time.”

“But,” I said, but was stopped mid-sentence.

“No. I get what I want when it comes to this. You’re going to be our treasurer and there’s nothing you can do about it, outside of a Kemigeki.”

Roy looked taken aback. “You’re suggesting a Third first year challenge you to a Kamigeki?”

“I don’t expect it to happen, but yes, that’s what we will call a worst-case scenario.”

“I won’t go that far,” I said. “Just give me a moment to think about it.”

“Good,” said Illya. “You can go. You said you have a meeting with your childhood friend?”

“Thanks,” I said. I turned away and left the building. I thought about the offer the entire walk to the cafeteria.

Rei was sitting and eating a plate of French fries. “Sit,” she said.

I sat down next to her.

“I’m going to join the curling team,” she said. “And I want you to be my auxiliary.”

“I don’t know if I can—”

“I know you can,” said Rei. “I know you better than you know yourself. You’re smart enough to win games.”

I sighed. “Okay. I’ll do it. For you. But if it gets too demanding I may have to bow out. I have a job, after all.”

“What, your blog?” said Rei. “What’s so great about it? Why don’t you give it up?”

“I’m sorry, I can’t.”

Rei looked apologetic. “I’m sorry,” she said. “I just got a bit worked up.”

“It’s fine,” I said. It really didn’t bother me. I was always deflecting her inquiries into my job. I still didn’t really know the reason for the secrecy but it was hardwired into my contracts so I couldn’t do anything about it.

“I’m not entirely sure what being an auxiliary would entail,” I said. I knew a lot about a lot of things, but magic sports really wasn’t my specialty.

“You’ll be formulating pillars and designing Siege Code for me to cast,” said Rei.

“Okay, I understand,” I said. “I’ll work with you.”

“I knew you would!” said Rei. She took my hand and held it. “We’re going to get onto the main team. Together.”

“Anyways, how are your classes going?” I said, without letting go of her hand.

“They’re going well,” said Rei. “It’s mostly been introductions and syllabuses.”

“Same here,” I said.

I let go of Rei’s hand and stood up to got some food from the food court, and then I headed back to where Rei was sitting. When I returned I found Tetra and Jade sitting at the table. Tetra was, as always, eating a gourmet meal. Jade had a simple sandwich.

“Hey!” said Tetra, upon my arrival. “I heard you got scouted by the student council.”

“How did you hear about that?” I said.

“I’ve been trying to get onto the council myself,” said Tetra. “I don’t know why they would let a Third onto the council, but if it had to be anyone I think you’re the best one to do it.” She covered her mouth as she chewed, and then swallowed. “In any case, I hope our friendship will allow you to put in a good word for me with the president.”

I nodded. “I will,” I said. I turned to Rei. “The president also requested you.”

Rei frowned. “But what if I don’t want to?” she said.

“Illya seems like the kind of person who will get what she wants no matter what other people think.”

Rei sighed. “Okay. But I have a condition.”

“I’m not the one you need to present that to,” I said.

Rei stood up, clearing her plate. “Let me put this away and I’ll come with you to the student council room.” She paused, turning to Tetra and Jade. They, as well, were almost finished with their meals.

“Tetra,” said Rei. “Come with me. Jade too if she wants.”

Tetra snapped her fingers and a butler appeared, taking away her plate, as well as Jade’s. She stood up and cleaned her hands off with an alcohol wipe. “Very well,” she said.

Jade nodded.

The four of us returned to the student council room. At the door, I heard people talking.

“What do you mean you won’t budge?” said a voice. “I refuse to let a Third be on this council.”

“I’m the president,” said Illya. “And you will do as I ask or I will be forced to bring you to a Kamigeki.”

“You know I can’t win that,” said the voice.

I chose that moment to push my way into the room. Illya and the student stopped.

The student who had been arguing was a First, about an inch shorter than me, wearing a blazer and modern suit. His eyes burned with intensity.

“This is Jack,” said Illya, pointing to the student. “He’s the student council secretary.” She paused. “I see you brought Rei,” she said. “As well as Ms. Pearlash.” She bowed.

Tetra curtsied back. “I am glad to be here,” she said.

Rei pointed to Tetra. “If you want me on the council, you’re going to have to take her too.”

“No problem,” said Illya. “There are plenty of jobs that need to be done.” She looked Tetra over with a discerning gaze. “You do look to be as capable as your bloodline would indicate. I think you’d do best helping York with the treasury business.”

“You’ve already decided his job?” said Jack, his eyes narrowed.

“Yes,” said Illya. “Anyone can do the job of treasurer. I simply want York around because I know he will be able to solve the problem.”

“Which problem?” asked Jack.

“The. Problem.” said Illya.

Jack sighed. “That one. I don’t even think it’s a problem if you’d ask me.”

“We need equality at this school,” said Illya. “And he’s the one who can make it happen.”

I sat down at the table. “I’d like to start my job,” I said.

“Well, I wasn’t expecting you to start until tomorrow,” said Illya.

I shook my head. “I’m going to need to look over your finances.”

Tetra sat down next to me. “Indeed. We’re going to audit you. You’re the ones who requested this.”

“Sure,” said Illya, sitting down at the head of the table. She held up her hands. “That’s why I scouted you.”

I spent the next hour going over paperwork regarding the school’s student-sponsored expenses. At Rockwell, the student council was given a budget that they distributed to clubs, events, and anything else a student council could do.

I began to notice small discrepancies in the figures after half an hour. I searched for their origin and finally traced them to a possible source of embezzlement. It was an account called “Forthier’s Club” that was draining small bits of money from at least fifty sources. It was very well hidden.

“Are you seeing this?” I said, presenting the documents to Tetra.

Tetra looked them over. “Indeed,” she said. “Your hunch is correct. I, too, have seen something going on with this Forthier’s Club.”

“What’s Forthier’s Club?” I asked Illya.

She looked up from her work. “Excuse me?” she said. “I do not recognize the name.” She looked at Jack.

Jack shook his head. So did Roy, who had entered the room a while ago.

“The documentation points to Forthier’s Club being a hybrid fraternity.” Tetra showed Illya some documents. “They’re the guarantor on a number of transactions that seem suspicious. There’s a serious discrepancy in the numbers, and this club seems to be the source.”

“Let me look over the documents,” said Illya. She took the papers and downloaded the electronic documents to her tablet. It took her ten minutes of silence to look them over. “Yes, I see it,” she said. “I don’t remember our club advisory board approving a club with this name.”

“So what do you think?” said Rei.

“I think you’re going to have to do your job,” said Illya, to Rei.

“Excuse me?” said Rei. “You haven’t told me what my job will be yet.”

“You’re going to be the campus sheriff,” said Illya. “Rockwell is a magic academy, and as such many magicians have powers that would become troublesome if misused. Our previous sheriff graduated last year and we’ve been looking for a replacement.”

“So you want me to police the campus?” said Rei. “I don’t know if I’m up to the task. I also plan on joining the curling team with York as my auxiliary.”

“Don’t worry,” said Illya. “The sheriff doesn’t actually spend that much time doing campus police work. That’s what the searchers are for.”

“We call the people who do the actual police work searchers,” said Roy.

Rei sighed. “Okay. I’ll do that. My first job is to look into Forthier’s Club.” She paused. “I’ll get to it as soon as possible. For now the deadline to apply for the curling team is today.” She turned to me. “York. Let’s go.”

I stood up. “If you will excuse me.”

We left the room to head to the Battle Tower.

No comments:

Post a Comment