Sunday, July 5, 2020

The Lesser One Arc 2 Chapter 9: Armani

Armani

The encounter with Alice’s spirit has put me in a sad mood. I know it’s going to be very difficult to bring her back, now that I’ve figured out what happened to her.

But first, it’s time for me to try a little pet project I’ve been wanting to do. “Take me to the countryside, where there are no buildings or people,” I say, to Sebastian.

“Of course,” says Sebastian.

We leave the city and drive to a large patch of empty land, crisscrossed only with little-used country roads. After we stop, I step out of the limo and start climbing one of the downs. The low hill is topped with ancient glacial rocks.

I survey the field, making sure that no one is here. Then, I reach into my personal dimension and call forth the gigantic mammoth.

A portal opens on the ground, and the mammoth rises from it, turning a bit. Once the mammoth is at ground level, it walks towards me.

Its tusks are as big as I am. Its eyes are the size of dinner plates. It sits down on the ground and snorts.

“You’ve finally called me,” it says. Its voice is deep and rumbling, while at the same time nasal.

“I wasn’t sure what to do with you,” I say. “You’re the size of a battleship, after all.”

The mammoth chuckles, a sound that I did not think mammoths could make. “I am not the biggest among monsters. There are plenty of them who would dwarf me.”

“Still,” I say. “Compared to me, you’re huge.”

The mammoth sits down on all fours, causing the ground to rumble. “Why did you call me forth?” he asks.

“I just wanted to formally introduce myself,” I say. “Are you required to follow me by some sort of law?”

“Gideon’s Sword compels me,” says the mammoth. “It has been absorbed into your bone marrow and I must listen to its bearer.”

“Do all S-class portals have keys like this?” I ask.

“Most portals, no matter their class, have a sort of key, though it may be very hard to find.”

“I don’t know your name yet,” I say.

“I have no name,” says the beast.

“Can I call you Mammoth?” I ask.

“If you want to,” says Mammoth. He shifts his massive weight, cracking a few of the stones atop the down.

“Just a question,” I say. “What can you tell me about aliens and antimatter?”

Mammoth snorts. “I know nothing of the world beyond the dungeon in which I was born. I cannot help you on either front.”

“It was worth a shot,” I say. I hold out my hand. “I’ll call you again when I need you.”

Mammoth gets up, a portal opens under him, and he sinks back into my personal dimension.

I sit on the cold down in the darkness for a moment before I decide to return to the limo. I can see all the stars from here, and the distant lights of London illuminate the horizon. Once I have my fill of the nice view, I stand up and return to the limo. Sebastian is sitting on the hood, smoking a pipe. He puts it out when I reach the road. His mannerisms are as precise as any butler’s.

“Are you ready to go?” he says, opening the door for me. “I do believe it would be best for you to get a good night’s sleep.”

I am, to be honest, bone tired. I step into the limo and sit down in the comfortable chair, and before I know it I am asleep.

I wake up as Sebastian pulls us into the Esmex building’s drop off point. I step out and make my way towards the entrance and then the elevator.

Sebastian drives away in the limo, presumably to park it somewhere. I take the elevator to the floor with my apartment and, once I get there, I fall asleep on the bed without taking my clothes off.

When I wake up in the morning I feel awful. I stagger to the bathroom and get into the shower. The shower is in a building corner and has two windows looking out over the street. Not exactly what I would call tasteful, but I’ve been told the windows are one way. I sure hope that’s the case.

Showering while overlooking the London skyline feels a bit weird, so I take as little time as possible.

When I leave the bathroom there is a nice suit laid out for me on the bed. I have not seen anyone enter or leave the room, but I assume someone set this up for me. I put on the suit and I feel like a super special person. Chuckling at the weirdness of the situation, I leave the apartment and head to the ground floor. Before my work with the Rearden Metal conjurers continues, I need to meet with Mandrake.

Sebastian is sitting in a recliner at the ground floor, reading a newspaper. It’s the first time in a long while that I’ve seen someone reading a physical newspaper. He flicks it, and then notices me.

“Good morning,” he says, turning back to his paper.

I walk over and sit next to him.

“Do you mind retrieving a cup of coffee for me?” he asks, still reading his paper.

“Um, where do I—”

Sebastian puts down his newspaper and motions to a small alcove in the entrance hall. A high-end self-sere coffee machine sits in the space.

I get up and grab two expensive-looking mugs. I fill one with coffee and the other with tea. Just in case I grab some sugar and some cream, the cream coming in those little cups.

I walk over to the lounge and hand Sebastian his coffee. He puts the paper down and takes a sip. He reacts as if it were a bit too hot, and begins blowing on it.

“Sugar or cream?” I ask, holding out them both.

“Sugar,” says Sebastian. He takes a sugar packet and empties it into his cup, stirring with a small stir stick. He puts the coffee on the table and continues reading his newspaper. After about five minutes he puts down his paper.

“Do we need to go somewhere today?” he asks.

“Yeah,” I say. “We need to met with Mandrake at the country manor so we can discuss Biren’s request.”

“And you need to be back by what time?” asks Sebastian.

“One is when the conjurers get in to work,” I say.

Sebastian folds up his newspaper and stands up, finishing the dregs of his coffee. He places the newspaper gently on a side table and straightens his suit.

“Your dress is appropriate,” he says. “I took the liberty of requesting a custom fitted Armani and had it delivered to your room.”

“Oh, thanks,” I say. I’m wearing an Armani? Yikes. “Where did you get my measurements?”

“Dr. Barrimore was more than happy to give us that data.”

Well. I suppose it was for the best, though. I straighten my suit jacket and follow Sebastian to where the limousine is parked, not far from the Esmex building’s entrance. Sebastian holds the door for me and I relax into the luxurious seat.

When Sebastian gets into the driver’s seat, I ask him a question. “How much does this limo cost?”

“Around two hundred thousand dollars,” says Sebastian. “Do not worry, though, as that is a mere pittance compared to the state of your finances. We, as your protectors, have decided that it is a proper expenditure.”

“Well, I’m glad I have a reliable way to get around here,” I say. “I really don’t feel like it’s my money anyways.” I remember, several times, giving my followers full reign to make their own decisions. This would probably be included in that. I like not worrying about the state of my finances, as the idea of possessing that much cash makes me a bit nervous.

I’ll probably ask for a breakdown of that sooner or later.

We drive out of the city and return to the Bright Silvebones’ country manor. Robin, the red-haired Bright whose power is fire, is doing some gardening. She watches us pull in while shielding her eyes from the morning sun. As we stop, she approaches us.

I step out. “Is Mandrake here?” I ask.

Robin nods. “I’ll take you to him. You’re here to talk about antimatter, right?” she says.

I nod. “Thanks for being understanding about this,” I say.

“The risks are great,” says Robin, “And I’m not sure I would do the same thing if I were in your position, but at the same time, I respect your choice.”

“I appreciate it,” I say.

We enter the manor and I see Mandrake coming down the stairs.

“I saw you turn into our driveway,” he says. He steps onto the main floor. “We have a lot to talk about.”

I follow Mandrake into a small room down the hall of the first floor of the manor. Mandrake closes the door and turns to Sebastian and I.

“I’ve done some research,” he says. “I do believe I have found a way for you to produce stable antimatter.”

“Did you learn it from, um, the aliens?” I say.

Mandrake chuckles. “I don’t personally have a way to contact them,” he says. “Though I may have led you to believe otherwise.”

“How did you figure it out, then?” I ask.

“One of the members of the Brights is the scientist type,” says Mandrake. “You’ll meet him eventually, I’ll bet.” He sits down in a cheap school-style chair. “First, you have to produce it in a gravitational vacuum.”

“Um, what kind of a vacuum is that?”

“One without gravity, of course,” says Mandrake.

“I don’t know how I’m going to build one,” I say.

Mandrake takes a file out of a drawer and hands it to me. “Everything you need to know is there. It’s just theory at this point, so you’re going to need to figure out how it works yourself.”

“I’m not that smart,” I say. “Or educated.”

Sebastian steps forward. “I believe we can assist you on that front,” he says. “Many of my comrades have advanced training in the things you would need to build such a device. I believe you have met one of them. Rezolan.”

“Ah,” I say. “He has special training?”

“He is the equivalent of a doctorate,” says Sebastian. “A very intelligent individual.”

“He did strike me as smart,” I say.

“He would be glad to help you, so long as you do him a small favor,” says Sebastian.

“Um, okay?” I say.

Sebastian smiles a bit. “I’ll tell you what he wants at a better time.”

Mandrake rests his hands on his stomach. “Now that we have that figured out,” he says, “There’s a little bit of a problem we have. One of our jobs is to fight organized crime. Do you remember the Russian mafia who tried to kidnap you?”

“Of course,” I say. “How could I forget?”

“They’ve regrouped. They’ve chosen a new leader and are hungry for vengeance.”

“Oh, great,” I say. “Another threat to my family and friends.”

“These people are not well equipped,” says Mandrake, “But they do have a couple of A-class adventurers on their side.” He rubs his chin. “I just wanted you to know so that you and your group can ramp up security.”

I turn to Sebastian. “Do we have enough personnel for that?” I ask.

“We do,” says Sebastian. “I’ll make the arrangements. I think it would best, in this situation, to go on the offensive.”

“Take them out before they take us out, right?” says Mandrake.

“Exactly,” I say. I turn to Sebastian. “Okay. Let’s start looking for a spot where I can attempt to produce antimatter without endangering a local population.”

“I have several areas in mind,” says Sebastian. “It’s going to be difficult.”

“I know,” I say. “I just have to do it.”

Mandrake nods. “And I have no doubt that you will.”


No comments:

Post a Comment