Tuesday, January 14, 2020

Nice coat, will I get one too? (Durham School Services Day One)

So basically there's two ways to get a real nice "neon coat" for bus driving. You know, some bus drivers have that sort of meshy, webbed vest that just goes over their clothes, right? Well apparently if you are accident-free for three years, you'll get a full-sized overcoat that looks really spiffing. Or you can order one online for sixty bucks.

Both of the ladies who trained me today (my first day of bus driver training) wore that kind of coat. I asked, naively, after they gave me the simple mesh vest: "am I getting one of those?"

Nope. I'm not getting one of those. But the lady who had the non "special safety" vest (that she bought for sixty or so bucks) said she would sell it to me when her special "safety coat" arrived, which it was due to arrive.

I don't know how serious she was but I'm totally willing to take her up on her offer.

I learned a bit about school buses from training videos that were reminiscent of that Spongebob episode where they showed the Krusty Krab training video. The kind of stuff you watch before each new job. I've been through a lot of those.

But the bus, the bus is different about this job. This job requires a full knowledge of how buses work so that we can keep them in good shape. Because, if a school bus driver screws up, they put a whole lot of kids in trouble. And we're all about protecting those students.

The bus inspection is done through a scanner and a series of little RFID tags that are attached to the bus at various inspection locations. The system is called "Zonar" and it replaced the paper and pencil method of pre and post-trip inspections, which I assume is a good thing, because the paper method looked tedious.

The inside of the bus isn't as mind-boggling as a Boing 747 cockpit, but it does have a bunch of buttons. I'll eventually learn what they do.

I'm happy to try something new and I hope that everything leads to a positive outcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment